AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce that Weststar Aviation Services of Malaysia has taken delivery of its first of nine AW139 medium twin engine helicopters. The helicopters will be used to perform offshore transport missions supporting offshore oil & gas industry operations in Malaysia. Weststar Aviation Services is currently the largest commercial customer for the AW139 in the Asia Pacific region.
The official handover Â ceremony took place in the presence of Tan Sri Syed Azman Syed Ibrahim, Group Managing Director of Weststar; Rashid Yusof, Vice President Corporate Service of Petronas; Mohd Suhaimi Yassin, Senior General Manager Petronas Carigali and Mr Emilio Dalmasso, Senior Vice President Commercial Business Unit of AgustaWestland.
The remaining eight aircraft will be delivered from now and March 2011. Dedicated pilot and technician training services and a comprehensive support package are being provided by AgustaWestland Malaysia Sdn Bhd.
Emilio Dalmasso said â€œWe are pleased to deliver the first of nine AW139s ordered by a leading Malaysian helicopter operator who will benefit from its unparalleled operational capabilities and cost effectiveness. This handover marks the entrance of the best selling and most advanced offshore helicopter in its class in the South East Asia offshore helicopter market and we are sure the AW139 will achieve further remarkable success in the entire regional market for this application.â€
The AW139 has achieved great success in Malaysia in recent years with orders placed by local operators for corporate, fire fighting, EMS/SAR and coast patrol missions. State-of-the-art technology, outstanding performance, low operating costs and the only helicopter in its class to meet the latest safety standards, have made the AW139 the helicopter of choice in the medium twin market. With its power reserve, the AW139 delivers Category A (Class 1) performance from a helipad (elevated or at ground level) at maximum take-off weight with an unmatched one engine inoperative capability.
The standard configuration provides seating for twelve or fifteen passengers in a large and bright 8.0 m3 cabin with excellent ease of access and egress via large sliding cabin doors. Excellent payload and performance ensure unmatched productivity for offshore operations. Energy-absorbing landing gear, fuselage and seats as well as high main and tail rotor ground clearance provide added safety for the passengers and maintenance teams whilst on the ground. Almost 140 customers from approximately 50 countries have ordered nearly 490 helicopters to perform a wide range of roles including offshore transport, EMS/SAR, VIP/corporate transport, law enforcement, utility and government missions.
AgustaWestland Malaysia Sdn Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary of AgustaWestland, continues to play a major role in the Malaysian helicopter market expanding its presence and increasing its capabilities through a continued programme of investment. Located at Kuala Lumpur’s Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, AgustaWestland Malaysiaâ€™s regional maintenance and support centre is a Malaysian DCA approved maintenance and repair organization. AgustaWestland Malaysia Sdn Bhd is providing local support and training for the growing fleet of AgustaWestland customers in the region.
Formed in 2003, Weststar Aviation Services Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Weststar Group, is a leading aviation company providing helicopter and jet charter services as well as offshore helicopter transport services.
- CHC and UniFly extend Hornsea wind farm support contract
- Penzance Helicopters flights to restart 4th July, plus AW139 update
- FAA approves Coptersafety AW139 simulator
- Nigerian Navy receives AW139 helicopter
- COVID-19 – AW139 supporting COVID-19 operations in Canada
- LCI Helicopters launches $100 Million co-investment vehicle
- RBI Hawker completes industry first with AW139 main rotor blade repair
- Omni starts another PGS contract with both S76 and AW139
- Caverton signs for AW139 simulator from Thales
- Penzance Helicopters to launch with AW109 GrandNew due to Coronavirus
- Honeywell and Leonardo upgrade AW139 with Synthetic Vision Navigation
- Omni Táxi Aéreo picks Skytrac for Real-Time HUMS and Satellite Push-to-Talk solutions
- Leonardo announces the purchase of an AW139 Level D FF)S by Suzuyo & Co of Japan.
- Milestone Announces Leases of 7 Helicopters with Héli-Union
- Heli-One Approved to Develop AW139 IGB TGB Capability
- FlightSafety to add new Level D sims for Airbus EC145 and Leonardo AW139
- Leonardo Philadelphia delivers 300th AW139
- US Air Force gives Leonardo MH-139 a name – the Grey Wolf
- MDFR Orders AW139
- Petroleum Air Services adds 6th AW139