Washington, December 10th, 2010 — The U.S. Naval Air Systems Command awarded Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] and Kaman Aerospace [NASDAQ GS: KAMN] a $45.8 million contract for K-MAXÂ® unmanned aircraft systems for a U.S. Marine Corps evaluation of unmanned cargo resupply in an operational forward deployed environment.
â€œThe K-MAX UAS was specifically designed for the battlefield cargo resupply mission,â€ said Dan Spoor, Lockheed Martin Aviation Systems vice president. â€œK-MAXâ€™s capabilities directly answer the Marine Corpsâ€™ requirement to augment ground and air logistics operations, supplement rotary-wing assets and keep warfighters supplied and out of harmâ€™s way.â€
The contract includes the delivery of two K-MAX air vehicles and three remote control ground stations to the U.S. Marine Corps for a Quick Reaction Assessment, scheduled for summer 2011.
The unmanned K-MAX has demonstrated its ability to carry and deliver 6,000 pounds of cargo at sea level and more than 4,000 pounds at 10,000 feet altitude.Â The aircraft can also deliver more cargo to more locations in one flight than any other unmanned rotary wing aircraft. Its intermeshing rotors eliminate the need for a tail rotor and allow for significantly improved lift performance and lower maintenance costs.
â€œK-MAX is the optimal choice for an affordable unmanned cargo delivery capability,â€ said Terry Fogarty, Kaman Aerospace Unmanned Aircraft Systems general manager. â€œWith reduced operational and logistics costs, increased fuel savings and less manpower required compared to a ground vehicle convoy or manned helicopter, the K-MAX is the lowest-risk solution for the mission.â€
Since partnering in 2007, Lockheed Martin and Kaman Aerospace have made significant investments to provide a rapid response to an urgent military service need. The team has met all milestones to date and exceeded Marine Corps requirements during a demonstration at Dugway Proving Ground, Utah in January.
Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security company that employs about 133,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The Corporation reported 2009 sales of $44 billion.
Kaman Helicopters is a division of Kaman Aerospace Corporation, a subsidiary of Kaman Corporation (NASDAQ-GS: KAMN). Founded in 1945 by aviation pioneer Charles H. Kaman, and headquartered in Bloomfield, Connecticut conducts business in the aerospace and industrial distribution markets. The company produces and/or markets widely used proprietary aircraft bearings and components; complex metallic and composite aerostructures for commercial, military and general aviation fixed and rotary wing aircraft; safe and arm solutions for missile and bomb systems for the U.S. and allied militaries; subcontract helicopter work; and support for the companyâ€™s SH-2G Super Seasprite maritime helicopters and K-MAX medium-to-heavy lift helicopters. The company distributes industrial parts, and operates more than 200 customer service centers and five distribution centers across North America. Kaman offers more than 3.5 million items including bearings, mechanical power transmission, electrical, material handling, motion control, fluid power, automation and MRO supplies to customers in virtually every industry. Additionally, Kaman provides engineering, design and support for automation, electrical, linear, hydraulic and pneumatic systems as well as belting and rubber fabrication, customized mechanical services, hose assemblies, repair, fluid analysis and motor management.
- Kaman K-MAX® Continues as a Proven Firefighting Asset
- Trust International appointed K-Max distributor in UAE
- Kaman K-Max advances civil and military autonomous flight programs
- Kaman to Deliver K-MAX® to Helicopter Express In 2019
- Kaman Receives Order For K-MAX® Helicopter
- Rotex Helicopter to take delivery of new KMax in Q4
- Kaman Opens New Helicopter Customer Service Center
- Kaman Awarded Contract to Reactivate USMC K-MAX®
- Kaman Announces Development of Next Generation
- EuroTec Demonstrates Completion Capabilities with KMAX Project
- Kaman Launches New K-MAX® Composite Blade Program
- Kaman Receives Additional K-MAX®Order
- Kaman announces two new K-Max customers
- Kaman annonces new K-Max Leasing Partnership
- Kaman to deliver three K-Max helicopters in March
- Kaman Receives Order from Columbia Basin
- Kaman delivers first two K-Max helicopters from re-started production line
- Kaman confident of extending K-Max production to 2019 at least
- Kaman Extends Production of Commercial K-MAX®
- Reopened Kaman K-Max production line reaches first flight