Two U.S. Air Force F-16 fighter jets,under the control of the North American Aerospace Defense Command, intercepted an unknown civilian helicopter entering North American airspace in the vicinity of Charleston, S.C.today at approximately 9:00 a.m. MST. The helicopter was not in communication with air traffic control.
The fighter jets, from the 20th Fighter Wing at Shaw Air Force Base,intercepted the helicopter and, using hand signals, directed the pilot to establish communication. The fighter jets returned to their base once the pilot established communication with local air traffic control.
NORAD is the bi-national Canadian and American command that provides maritime warning, aerospace warning and aerospace defense for Canada and the United States. The command has three subordinate regional headquarters: the Alaskan NORAD Region at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska; the Canadian NORAD Region at Canadian Forces Base Winnipeg, Manitoba; and the Continental NORAD Region at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida. The command is poised both tactically and strategically in our nation’s capital to provide a multilayered defense to detect, deter and prevent potential threats flying over the airspace of the United States and Canada..
- Air Methods donates AS350B2 to Mercy Air Africa
- ITT Enidine selected as partner for Bell 360 program
- PS Engineering responds to customer requests with latest PAC45J audio controller
- Bell Opens Global Commercial Business Center
- GKN Aerospace promotes its role in German NH90 order
- NZ helicopter operator charged over volcano tourist health and safety
- Korean Air extends USMC H-53 APAC maintenance contract
- Aviation Data Solutions launches unique software solutions for operators and handling agents
- ConnectSkies agency champions ‘green’ helicopters
- Transport Canada strengthens ELT requirements
- GKN wins Boeing silver award for AH-64 and CH-47 program work
- Edmonton Police take delivery of new Airbus H125
- South Korea certifies the VK-2500PS-03 engine for the Mi-171A2
- Wales Air Ambulance starts 24×7 ops
- DynCorp extends CalFire support contract
- Germany procures 31 NH90s for Navy role
- NASA Begins Flight Testing Campaign for Future Airspace Mobility
- EASA Approves HTC Blades for Bell Huey
- Philippine Navy completes vertrep exercise with AW109
- Milestone delivers first S92 to Caverton Helicopters