The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) has announced the selection ofÂ CobhamÂ to supply Synthetic Vision Electronic Flight Instrument Systems (EFIS) for their fleet of Eurocopter and Bell helicopters.
LAPD is the largest municipal airborne law enforcement operation in the world and serves a population base of four million.Â Operating a fleet of nineteen patrol helicopters in the nationâ€™s second largest city, Air Support Division is a lifesaving, twenty-four hour, seven-day a week force multiplier.
Cobhamâ€™s fully-digital EFIS delivers superior precision and increased reliability for higher dispatch rates, lower operating costs, and reduced equipment maintenance expenses.Â The displaysâ€™ lighter weight enables enhanced payload capabilities.Â Synthetic Vision reduces pilot workload and fatigue for more confident command and control, andÂ Cobhamâ€™s field-updatable software allows new functionalities to be installed without replacing hardware components.
The LAPD rotorcraft will be retrofitted withÂ Cobhamâ€™s two-screen EFIS system, including: Primary Flight Display (PFD) and Multi-Function Display (MFD), GPS Receiver, integral Helicopter Terrain Awareness and Warning System (HTAWS), and integral Flight Management System (FMS).Â Â Cobhamâ€™s EFIS is night vision goggle-compatible and will integrate with the HeliSASÂ® Autopilot and Stability Augmentation System, certification for which is expected in early 2011.
According to LAPD, ease of equipment installation, a proven track record of equipment performance in helicopters, company ownership of STCâ€™s, certification in both VEMD and NON-VEMD aircraft, and a commitment to customer service were all taken into consideration.Â The Los Angeles Police Department has selectedÂ CobhamÂ and is moving forward with the integration of the new systems.
Responding to more than forty-six thousand police incidents per year while logging over seventeen thousand flight hours annually demands reliable equipment and a strong customer support commitment, the LAPD said.Â Mission demands dictate that LAPD aircraft remain on the cutting edge of technology providing improved mission readiness while ensuring enhanced situational awareness and safety.
- Thales and StandardAero mark first flight of 4-axis autopilot for Airbus AS350 and H125
- 29-Nov-20 9N-AJJ Airbus AS350B2 Nuwakot, Nepal
- Genesys Aerosystems’ EFIS Now Certified on Airbus AS350/355
- 08-Nov-20 TG-GEA Airbus AS350B3 Alta Verapaz, Guatemala
- 26-Oct-20 N530H Airbus AS350B3 Arenas Valley, NM
- Entrol launches the H05 / H125 FNPT II simulator
- Astronics Enhanced Vision Systems Receives Approval for AS350s
- 13-Sep-20 PP-MRA Airbus AS350 Arapiraca, Brazil
- GPMS wins STC for Foresight Predictive HUMS on AS350
- 06-Sep-20 N354PA Airbus AS350B2 Fort Greely, US-Alaska
- 01-Sep-20 N139HN Airbus EC130 Winchester, US-Kentucky
- 25-Aug-20 N160SH Airbus AS350B2 Tuxedni Bay, US-Alaska
- GPMS launches subscription-model HUMS
- Saudi operator orders ten Airbus H125s
- 17-Aug-20 C-FAHC Airbus AS350B2 Stewart, Canada (1F)
- 17-Aug-20 C-FAHC Airbus AS350 Stewart, Canada (1F)
- 12-Aug-20 C-GNZF Airbus AS350B2 Sacré-Coeur, Canada
- 12-Aug-20 C-GNZF Airbus AS350B2 Les Bergeronne, Canada
- 04-Aug-20 TG-PME Airbus AS350 Chisec, Guatemala (1F)
- 31-Jul-20 CC-DAM Airbus AS350B3 Santiago, Chile