Magellan Aerospace announced today an agreement with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) inÂ Bangalore, IndiaÂ for a new Wire Strike Protection System (WSPSÂ®). The agreement includes the design and development of a WSPS for the HAL Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH), which will be carried out at Magellan’s Bristol Aerospace division inÂ WinnipegÂ in 2011.Â Bristol is the global expert for this unique system, offering a proven design and acknowledged technological expertise.
The AHL system is comprised of an upper and lower cutter, and windshield deflector, designed byÂ BristolÂ to be integrated into the unique structure of the ALH.
Mr.Â Don Boitson, Vice President and General Manager, Bristol Aerospace, commented, “We have been making and delivering WSPS kits since 1980, and are delighted to have HAL join our family of global customers.”
Mr.Â Ashok Nayak, Chairman of HAL, said, “This contract between us for design and development of a Wire Strike Protection System is strategically an imperative for our future business growth and we acknowledge the potential of Magellan Aerospace and HAL with this program.”
In 1977 Bristol, with the Canadian Forces, designed the WSPS to provide a measure of protection for helicopters to the potentially devastating consequences of inadvertent encounters with horizontally strung wires and cables.
In 2009, a milestone was reached with the delivery of the 20,000th Wire Strike Protection System (WSPSÂ®) kit. More than 65 models of WSPS have been developed for commercial and military customers around the world, and new systems continue to be designed for the new helicopter developments that are increasing in size and complexity.
About Magellan Aerospace Corporation:
Magellan Aerospace Corporation is one of the world’s most integrated and comprehensive aerospace industry suppliers.Â Magellan designs, engineers, and manufactures aeroengine and aerostructure assemblies and components for aerospace markets, advanced products for military and space markets, and complementary specialty products.Â Magellan is a public company whose shares trade on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: MAL), with operating units throughoutÂ Canada,Â the United States, theÂ United Kingdom, andÂ India.
- 05-Feb-19 IA-2147 HAL Dhruv Thattaguppe, India
- NAeL Delivers Helicopter Structures
- Saab Receives Order for Self-Protection Systems
- Indian military orders another 41 Dhruv helicopters
- India moves more armed helicopters to Chinese border
- Indian Army Retires Chetak and Cheetah Fleet
- Dhruv Interested in EASA Certification
- Ecuador terminates links with HAL after four Dhruv accidents
- HAL Dhruv completes noise tests for EASA certification
- India – Border Security Force inducts pair of Mi-17s
- HAL renews Saab contract for Dhruv Self-protection Systems
- HAL to set up Dhruv MROs in forward areas
- Sarang helicopter display team reforms for AeroIndia 2015
- 11-Feb-15 HAL Dhruv Ganderbal, India (2F)
- 27-Jan-15 FAE-605 HAL Dhruv Tena, Ecuador
- 13-Jan-15 FAE-603 HAL Dhruv Chongon, Ecuador
- Dhruv helicopters back in action after Sitapur crash
- Indian Air Force grounds Dhruv
- 25-Jul-14 HAL Dhruv Ataria, India (7F)
- 21-Feb-14 FAE-601 AL Dhruv Chimborazo, Ecuador (3F)