Aviation Specialties Unlimited, (ASU) announced that they received a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) for the AW139 from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).Â Â This is the first STC for the AW139 for night vision.
â€œASU did an excellent job for us on this STC,â€ said Era Helicopters project manager and Avionics Technician Mark Wheeler.Â â€œShawn Woodworth, their Director of Maintenance did a great job of planning.Â ASUâ€™s years of experience helped us to navigate through the process.Â We had many things on our end that we needed to address and ASU took a hands-on approach.Â Their vast knowledge of NVG set up helped us overcome potential hurdles.â€
This is the third modification that ASU has done for Era Helicopters. Previously ASU completed two BK 117s.Â ASU will also modify another AW139 for them later this year.
â€œWe are thrilled to add another STC to our capabilities, but even more thrilled that Era Helicopters has a fully NVG compatible cockpit,â€ said ASU Founder and President Mike Atwood.Â â€œShawn is just one of the many experts that we have on our team of 22 people that help clients navigate through new territory on a daily basis.Â The experience we bring helps expedite our clientsâ€™ ability to fly at night safely using NVG systems. We will continue to strive for new STCs in order to better serve our clients and the industry.â€
Since 1995, ASUâ€™s goal has been to implement night vision in the civil aviation market to increase operational safety and improve mission capabilities. Our focus is on providing a turnkey solution to our customers so that with one call they can obtain:
- Night vision goggles and replacement parts
- Service/inspection for goggles
- NVG cockpit lighting solutions, installed by our FAA-approved 145 repair station technicians at our facility in Boise, Idaho, or at the customerâ€™s facility
- Cockpit replacement parts provided by our FAA-approved PMA
- Initial and recurrent training for flight crews on the use of night vision via an FAA-approved 141 Training Program and/or 135 Air Operator Certificate
- Assistance in establishing Night Vision Programs.
To date, ASU has sold over 2,500 aviator systems within the U.S.
- CHC and UniFly extend Hornsea wind farm support contract
- Penzance Helicopters flights to restart 4th July, plus AW139 update
- FAA approves Coptersafety AW139 simulator
- Nigerian Navy receives AW139 helicopter
- COVID-19 – AW139 supporting COVID-19 operations in Canada
- LCI Helicopters launches $100 Million co-investment vehicle
- RBI Hawker completes industry first with AW139 main rotor blade repair
- Omni starts another PGS contract with both S76 and AW139
- Caverton signs for AW139 simulator from Thales
- Penzance Helicopters to launch with AW109 GrandNew due to Coronavirus
- Honeywell and Leonardo upgrade AW139 with Synthetic Vision Navigation
- Omni Táxi Aéreo picks Skytrac for Real-Time HUMS and Satellite Push-to-Talk solutions
- Leonardo announces the purchase of an AW139 Level D FF)S by Suzuyo & Co of Japan.
- Milestone Announces Leases of 7 Helicopters with Héli-Union
- Heli-One Approved to Develop AW139 IGB TGB Capability
- FlightSafety to add new Level D sims for Airbus EC145 and Leonardo AW139
- Leonardo Philadelphia delivers 300th AW139
- US Air Force gives Leonardo MH-139 a name – the Grey Wolf
- MDFR Orders AW139
- Petroleum Air Services adds 6th AW139