The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) is upgrading the hoists of more than 100 H-65 Multi-Mission Cutter Helicopters with a unique safety-enhancing product available exclusively from Breeze-Eastern Corporation (Heli-Expo Exhibit 3631). The USCG installation of the Reactive Overload Clutch is nearly complete and many of the upgraded hoists are already operational. The Reactive Overload Clutch is available on new hoists and as an aftermarket upgrade.
The Reactive Overload Clutch represents a next-generation improvement over other slip clutch technology.Â While all slip clutches prevent cables from snapping under gradual pressure when they exceed load limits, the Reactive Overload Clutch offers the same protection when a shock load (a sudden and intense force) occurs. This could happen, for example, if a hoist cable became entangled on a ship and broke under the pressure. Shock loading can happen in a variety of operations, and can have catastrophic results without this added protection.
â€œBreeze-Eastern is proud to bring this product to the U.S. Coast Guard and make it available to all of our commercial and military customers who are doing important lifesaving work,â€ said company President & CEO Mike Harlan.Â â€œContributing to safe operations is Breeze-Eastern’s top priority.â€
During USCG evaluations of the equipment, a hoist was subjected to free-fall drops of loads of various weights and distances. These tests confirmed that the Reactive Overload Clutch would prevent a shock load from breaking the cable. â€œThe USCG also conducted thorough field testing to ensure that the Reactive Overload Clutch performed as expected under a wide range of operational conditions,â€ Harlan explained.Â â€œThe Breeze-Eastern Reactive Overload Clutch System performed flawlessly, and the U.S. Coast Guard ordered and is installing over 100 systems.â€
As the Rescue Hoist market leader, Breeze-Eastern is committed to continuing to make safe systems even safer. During 2010, Breeze-Eastern completed its relocation to a new facility in Whippany, N.J., after spending over 50 years in Union, N.J. With a world-class facility and equipment, improving processes and a strong customer focus, and ongoing product development and improvement investments, Breeze-Eastern is well-positioned to help its commercial and military customers perform their critical missions for the next 50+ years.
Breeze-Eastern Corporation (http://www.breeze-eastern.com) is the worldâ€™s leading designer and manufacturer of high-performance lifting and pulling devices for helicopters, military cargo aircraft, and other aerospace/defense platforms, including rescue hoists, winches and cargo hooks, and weapons-lifting systems.
- Students STEP into the Future with Bell
- Luton Airport to provide free fuel to Children’s Air Ambulance
- Omni signs 24 month contract with Constellation Oil
- Metro Aviation takes delivery of first Airbus EC145e
- Mecaer Delivers Bell 505 MAGnificent
- More than $360,000 raised for STARS
- AeroVironment unveils VAPOR all-electric helicopter UAS
- StandardAero expands with Safe Aviation Solutions acquisition
- CPI Aero gains orders for T70 Turkish Utility Helicopter Program
- CHC Appoints New Executive Lead for Global Operations and Supply Chain
- HAI President/CEO Named to USDOT Safety Oversight and Certification Advisory Committee
- Able Opens New Expansion of Headquarters
- Leonardo puts forward AW149 at DSEI 2019
- Russian operator Skypro adds fourth AW139
- Rotex Helicopter to take delivery of new KMax in Q4
- Volocopter raises 50 million Euros in C round funding
- UTair Engineering picks AMOS MRO software
- PHi exits Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Volocopter completes integration tests at Helsinki Airport
- Helicopter pilot appointed new Station Commander at RAF Odiham