The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) is upgrading the hoists of more than 100 H-65 Multi-Mission Cutter Helicopters with a unique safety-enhancing product available exclusively from Breeze-Eastern Corporation (Heli-Expo Exhibit 3631). The USCG installation of the Reactive Overload Clutch is nearly complete and many of the upgraded hoists are already operational. The Reactive Overload Clutch is available on new hoists and as an aftermarket upgrade.
The Reactive Overload Clutch represents a next-generation improvement over other slip clutch technology.Â While all slip clutches prevent cables from snapping under gradual pressure when they exceed load limits, the Reactive Overload Clutch offers the same protection when a shock load (a sudden and intense force) occurs. This could happen, for example, if a hoist cable became entangled on a ship and broke under the pressure. Shock loading can happen in a variety of operations, and can have catastrophic results without this added protection.
â€œBreeze-Eastern is proud to bring this product to the U.S. Coast Guard and make it available to all of our commercial and military customers who are doing important lifesaving work,â€ said company President & CEO Mike Harlan.Â â€œContributing to safe operations is Breeze-Eastern’s top priority.â€
During USCG evaluations of the equipment, a hoist was subjected to free-fall drops of loads of various weights and distances. These tests confirmed that the Reactive Overload Clutch would prevent a shock load from breaking the cable. â€œThe USCG also conducted thorough field testing to ensure that the Reactive Overload Clutch performed as expected under a wide range of operational conditions,â€ Harlan explained.Â â€œThe Breeze-Eastern Reactive Overload Clutch System performed flawlessly, and the U.S. Coast Guard ordered and is installing over 100 systems.â€
As the Rescue Hoist market leader, Breeze-Eastern is committed to continuing to make safe systems even safer. During 2010, Breeze-Eastern completed its relocation to a new facility in Whippany, N.J., after spending over 50 years in Union, N.J. With a world-class facility and equipment, improving processes and a strong customer focus, and ongoing product development and improvement investments, Breeze-Eastern is well-positioned to help its commercial and military customers perform their critical missions for the next 50+ years.
Breeze-Eastern Corporation (http://www.breeze-eastern.com) is the worldâ€™s leading designer and manufacturer of high-performance lifting and pulling devices for helicopters, military cargo aircraft, and other aerospace/defense platforms, including rescue hoists, winches and cargo hooks, and weapons-lifting systems.
- FlightSafety appoints Executive Director of Operations
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Named ‘Best Tour Company’ in Hawaii
- Bell Awarded $28M Contract for UH-1N and TH-1H Support
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance to receive £1.5M grant towards £4M hangar
- Aviation Blade Services Joins First Aviation Services Family
- Rusada unveils new Technical Publications module for ENVISION
- US accident data heading for worst year in over a decade
- Derriford Hospital helipad sees 1700 landings in four years
- Geisinger Life Flight Implement WinAir Digital Signatures
- The Air Ambulance Service scoops national charity award
- Leonardo Helicopters picks workwear supplier for Yeovil production plant
- HAI Hires New Director of Government Affairs
- Heli-Parts Nevada acquired by Salus Aviation
- Heli-One appoints New VP H1 Operations
- DRF Luftrettung receives EURAMI certification
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Winner of 2019 Alfred Gessow Best Paper Award
- WJZ-CBS Baltimore Adds Robinson R66 Newscopter
- 1st CAB Commander Makes Final Flight
- Star Navigation Announces MEDEVAC Agreement with Airmedic Inc.
- Airbus makes changes to its Executive Committee