The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) is upgrading the hoists of more than 100 H-65 Multi-Mission Cutter Helicopters with a unique safety-enhancing product available exclusively from Breeze-Eastern Corporation (Heli-Expo Exhibit 3631). The USCG installation of the Reactive Overload Clutch is nearly complete and many of the upgraded hoists are already operational. The Reactive Overload Clutch is available on new hoists and as an aftermarket upgrade.
The Reactive Overload Clutch represents a next-generation improvement over other slip clutch technology.Â While all slip clutches prevent cables from snapping under gradual pressure when they exceed load limits, the Reactive Overload Clutch offers the same protection when a shock load (a sudden and intense force) occurs. This could happen, for example, if a hoist cable became entangled on a ship and broke under the pressure. Shock loading can happen in a variety of operations, and can have catastrophic results without this added protection.
â€œBreeze-Eastern is proud to bring this product to the U.S. Coast Guard and make it available to all of our commercial and military customers who are doing important lifesaving work,â€ said company President & CEO Mike Harlan.Â â€œContributing to safe operations is Breeze-Eastern’s top priority.â€
During USCG evaluations of the equipment, a hoist was subjected to free-fall drops of loads of various weights and distances. These tests confirmed that the Reactive Overload Clutch would prevent a shock load from breaking the cable. â€œThe USCG also conducted thorough field testing to ensure that the Reactive Overload Clutch performed as expected under a wide range of operational conditions,â€ Harlan explained.Â â€œThe Breeze-Eastern Reactive Overload Clutch System performed flawlessly, and the U.S. Coast Guard ordered and is installing over 100 systems.â€
As the Rescue Hoist market leader, Breeze-Eastern is committed to continuing to make safe systems even safer. During 2010, Breeze-Eastern completed its relocation to a new facility in Whippany, N.J., after spending over 50 years in Union, N.J. With a world-class facility and equipment, improving processes and a strong customer focus, and ongoing product development and improvement investments, Breeze-Eastern is well-positioned to help its commercial and military customers perform their critical missions for the next 50+ years.
Breeze-Eastern Corporation (http://www.breeze-eastern.com) is the worldâ€™s leading designer and manufacturer of high-performance lifting and pulling devices for helicopters, military cargo aircraft, and other aerospace/defense platforms, including rescue hoists, winches and cargo hooks, and weapons-lifting systems.
- First Ukraine Police Airbus H145 commences flight test phase
- Polish Police retire Kania helicopter to museum
- Bell Offers Comprehensive Program for new Commercial Aircraft Customers
- Universal Helicopters closes its doors after almost 60 years of operations
- Gama Aviation starts Scottish EMS operations after taking contract back from Babcock
- Heli Hero names added to new helicopter
- Q1 production analysis – Airbus rises while every other OEM falls
- Nigerian Navy receives AW139 helicopter
- Penn College aviation students receive industry scholarships
- EHang wins approval for autonomous air logistics operations
- Genesys flight testing their avionics suite on Black Hawks
- Pulselite® Bird Strike Prevention System STC Expanded to Include Bell 429 and Bell 505
- EBAA to provide members with live aviation security alerts from Osprey
- COVID-19 – AW139 supporting COVID-19 operations in Canada
- Babcock Selects Bell 429 for Australian Special Forces bid
- UKMFTS program adds first of four additional Airbus H145s
- ACC Aviation Partners with AeroMedical
- Wings Air Helicopters offers free flights for healthcare professionals
- Wingcopter is one of 9 winners of German Government’s €24M hackathon
- Leonardo AW159 Wildcat conducts first successful firings of Thales ‘Martlet’ LMM