Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, is pleased to announce that one of its most popular products for helicopters is being used by one of the worldâ€™s largest tour operators. Blue Hawaiian, the largest Hawaiian helicopter operator and Hollywoodâ€™s first-call helicopter company, is in the process of installing the Garmin G500H in their fleet of 21 Eurocopter EC130 and AS350 helicopters.
â€œThe greatest risk factor faced by helicopter operations in Hawaii is inadvertent flight into IMC and subsequent CFIT (controlled flight into terrain). Garminâ€™s synthetic vision technology is a god-send. The G500H is a revolutionary tool to improve situational awareness and significantly reduce our greatest risk. The cost/benefit of this system makes this choice a â€˜no-brainer,â€™â€ said David Chevalier, CEO, Blue Hawaiian Helicopters.
â€œHaving a customer like Blue Hawaiian â€“ who goes the extra mile to have the most advanced 21st century helicopter technology â€“ select the G500H speaks volumes about the impression this product is making on the helicopter industry,â€ said Gary Kelley, Garminâ€™s vice president of marketing.Â â€œWith the availability of an advanced avionics system like the G500H, helicopter pilots will have unparalleled safety of flight and situational awareness, and will be able to provide their customers with the best experience in the air.â€
Dual 6.5-inch LCD screens, mounted side-by-side in a single bezel, put primary flight display (PFD) and multi-function display (MFD) capabilities right in front of the pilot. The PFD screen shows attitude, airspeed, altitude, climb rate and course/heading information â€” while the MFD provides detailed moving-map graphics depicting the helicopterâ€™s current position in relation to ground features, chart data, navaids and flight plan routings. The G500H is available in two versions â€“ one with the PFD on the right, the other version with the PFD on the left â€“ allowing maximum installation versatility.
The G500H has numerous advanced technologies that are optimized for rotorcraft. The G500H supports Garminâ€™s helicopter-specific synthetic vision technology (HSVTâ„¢) that lets pilots see an â€œout-the-windowâ€ view of the surroundings and traffic, regardless of the weather conditions. HSVT seamlessly blends information about the rotorcraftâ€™s position with topographic databases to create and display real-time 3D images. To help monitor the aircraftâ€™s location on unfamiliar airports, the G500H comes with preloaded geo-referenced SafeTaxiÂ® diagrams for nearly 1,000 U.S. airports, as well as a helicopter-specific databases with over 7,000 heliports and nearly 30,000 additional low-altitude obstacles. In addition, it supports optional equipment that enables XM WX Satellite Weather with NEXRAD, GSR 56 Iridium transceiver for aircraft tracking, and the ability to display video from a forward looking infrared (FLIR) camera or other video sources.
Blue Hawaiian completed its first two G500H installation in late 2010, and has already put hundreds of hours on the aircraft with the new avionics. The company plans to upgrade the entire fleet to G500H by mid- 2011.
The G500H was announced in February 2010, and the first certification was received in May 2010. It is available immediately for a list price starting at $24,995.
About Garmin International Inc.
Garmin International Inc. is a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation. Since 1989, this group of companies has designed, manufactured, marketed and sold navigation, communication and information devices and applications â€“ most of which are enabled by GPS technology. Garminâ€™s products serve automotive, mobile, wireless, outdoor recreation, marine, aviation, and OEM applications. Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in the Cayman Islands, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit Garmin’s virtual pressroom atÂ www.garmin.com/pressroom or contact the Media Relations department at 913-397-8200. Garmin and SafeTaxi are registered trademarks, and HSVT is a trademark of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.
All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
- LCI Helicopters launches $100 Million co-investment vehicle
- Maverick announces CRFS retrofit for its entire EC130B4 fleet
- Airbus launches the ACH130 Aston Martin Edition
- 21-Oct-19 N922RJ Airbus EC130 Oroville, US-California
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- LA County Sheriff buys a AS350 crash-resistant fuel tank
- Additional certification for DART’s EC/H130 Emergency Flotation System
- VFS EuroTec Receives FAA Validation for EC130 TrueBlue Main Ship Battery STC
- StandardAero expands AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank into European Market
- Dart receives EASA certification for EC130/H130 Cable Cutter System
- EuroTec Gains Approval for EC130/H130 Main Battery Kit
- StandardAero renews Air Methods AS350 and EC130 Components contract
- DART launches its new H130/EC130 Cable Cutter System
- EASA Certified AS350 Retrofittable Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Papillon Airways Sign MOU for 40 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tanks
- FAA certified retrofittable Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank for AS350 and EC130
- South Australia Police update EC130 with Wescam EO/IR
- Canada approves Donaldson IBF for AS350 and EC130
- Hospital Wing takes delivery of fourth H130
- Taiwan Leasing Firm to Finance Fifth H130 for PhilJets