KABUL, Afghanistan â€“ The International Security Assistance Force has launched an investigation into an operation in Kunar province Monday which may have resulted in two Afghan children being mistakenly killed.
An ISAF Joint Command and Afghan incident assessment team went to Kunar province today to look into this incident. The assessment team interviewed ISAF and Afghan officials and reviewed footage from all aerial platforms. The air weapons team may have unintentionally engaged civilians who were working on field and road drainage.
The ISAF Joint Command Commander has suspended the ground force commander, grounded the helicopter crew involved and directed a formal investigation into this incident.
â€œI cannot overstate how seriously we take all instances of civilian casualties. I take personal interest in every case, and have recently ordered a review of our tactical directive on the use of force by all aircrews of attack helicopters,â€ said General David H. Petraeus, Commander of International Security Assistance Force. â€œWe will take all necessary steps to get to the bottom of this. We know we cannot succeed if we harm the people we are striving to protect.â€
The details from this assessment are not final; however, the results of the formal investigation could lead to disciplinary action for those involved. Previous investigations on other incidents in Kunar are currently under final legal review.
- US Marine Corps use 3D printing for new MH-60S comms system
- First ACH145 helicopter delivered to Russia
- Bell Announces Collaboration with Elektroniksystem- und Logistik-GmbH (ESG)
- Rostec starts assembling parts for the first Russian offshore Mi-171A3
- New UK heliport in Plymouth wins planning approval
- Bell to Attend NATO Days 2020
- Airbus Helicopters and HTM-Helicopters sign contract
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance CEO shortlisted for national award
- LCI and Sumitomo to establish JV helicopter leasing business
- COVID-19 forces Maverick Helicopters to lay off 75
- Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Records 50,000 Global Fleet Flight Hours
- Air BP delivers 210 tonnes of sustainable aviation fuel to Stockholm Arlanda Airport
- Virtual AMTC Announces Keynote Speakers
- Specialized Navy Sailors Deployed with Marine Squadron ahead of V-22 Transition
- Thales H160 Level D sim approved
- Boeing, Honeywell and Rolls-partner on German CH-47 bid
- Wyoming Army National Guard activated to assist with California wildfires
- Bristow names new CFO
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance receives COVID19 cash from Government
- Christoph 43 completes 570 missions in first half of 2020