Aurora Flight Sciences announced that it has been selected by Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation to design and build prototype airframes as part of the S-97 RAIDERâ„¢ program.
Aurora’s design and manufacturing role will take place over the next several years. Applying Sikorsky structural design methodologies, Aurora engineers will design the airframe to meet challenging weight, strength, and stiffness criteria. The airframe will be manufactured and assembled at Aurora’s Columbus, Mississippi facility.
“We are pleased to join Sikorsky’s team to develop the S-97 RAIDER prototype,” said John Langford, Aurora’s President and CEO. “Our demonstrated success in rapid prototyping and our experience in transitioning prototype programs into production were key factors in Sikorsky’s decision to select Aurora for this high priority development program.”
The S-97 RAIDER program is based on Sikorsky Aircraft’s development of the next-generation X2 Technologyâ„¢ rotary wing demonstrator aircraft, which features twin coaxial counter-rotating main rotors and a pusher propeller. The National Aeronautic Association recently selected the Sikorsky Aircraft’s X2 Demonstrator Team as the recipient of the 2010 Collier Trophy. In addition to flying at nearly twice the speed of a conventional helicopter, the S-97 RAIDER prototype aircraft will incorporate other key performance parameters critical to combat operations â€” increased maneuverability, greater endurance, reduced acoustic noise signature, and the ability to operate at high altitudes.
About Aurora Flight Sciences
Aurora Flight Sciences designs and builds advanced aerospace vehicles and related technology components for commercial and military applications. Aurora is headquartered in Manassas, VA; operates production plants in Bridgeport, WV and Columbus, MS; and a Research and Development Center in Cambridge, MA. To view recent press releases and more about Aurora please visit our website atÂ www.aurora.aero.
- Triumph Geared Solutions Recognized by Sikorsky
- S-97 Raider Program Launches Ground Tests
- Sikorsky grounded S97 Raider after just two free flights
- S-97 Raider has TTTech’s TTEthernet® Deterministic Ethernet Solution on Board
- Sikorsky S-97 Raider flies for first time
- PPG produces transparencies for first S-97 Raider
- International Representatives View CH-53K Helicopter
- Sikorsky Begins Final Assembly of Second S-97 Raider
- Sikorsky Collaborates with LORD Corporation to Unveil S-97 Raider
- Sikorsky Unveils S-97 Raider
- Ducommun Recognized as Critical Partner on S-97 Raider program
- Sikorsky Aircraft Selects LORD Corporation’s UltraConductive™ Technology for the S-97 RAIDER™ Helicopter Program
- Sikorsky selects Lord Corp UltraConductive™ Technology for S-97 Raider
- S-97 Raider closer to first flight with power on for first time
- S-97 Raider enters final assembly
- Budget freezes US Army Armed Aerial Scout program
- PPG to supply S-97 Raider transparencies
- Sikorsky launch microsite for S-97 Raider
- Lord Corp selected S-97 Raider program
- Rotating Composite Technologies to supply S-97 Raider pusher prop