Safe Flight Instrument Corporationâ€™s Powerline Detection System (PDS) has been certified by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on the Enstrom 480B model helicopter.
The FAA has issued a Type Certificate for the Powerline Detection System.Â Â Safe Flight and Enstrom are currently working towards a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) that will allow for a retrofit installation to existing in-service 480 operators.Â The Powerline Detection System will also be offered as a production option from the Menominee Michigan based Enstrom Helicopter Corporation.
Enstrom has begun delivery of the Powerline Detection Systems equipped 480B model helicopters to the Royal Thai Army as part of a 16 aircraft contract award.Â The helicopters will be used primarily for training purposes and will be based at the army’s aviation centre in Lopburi province in central Thailand.
A multi-role light turbine helicopter, the Enstrom 480B series has now been certified in 29 countries and has already been operated in over 35 countries. With over 130 aircraft in the field now, the 480B is proving to be a popular choice for a wide range of applications, including personal transport, flight instruction, law enforcement, power line patrol, executive transport (charter), electronic news gathering, pipeline patrol, aerial photography, sightseeing, and cargo/passenger delivery.
The addition of Safe Flightâ€™s Powerline Detection System is a key component in the contract award to provide the Royal Thai Army with the Enstrom 480B model helicopters.Â The Powerline Detection System is being installed in lieu of wire cutters for an â€œavoid donâ€™t cutâ€ approach to low level helicopter operations.
Safe Flightâ€™s Powerline Detection System has been FAA and EASA certified and is currently being operated worldwide.Â PDS is an extremely lightweight and passive system that alerts the aircraft pilot and crew when approaching an energized power line in a heads up attitude.Â The system provides a visual and aural warning to the crew.Â As the aircraft approaches the danger the aural warning intensifies allowing the pilot to avoid contact with the hazard altogether.
- 10-Oct-20 N899RT Enstrom 480B Putnam, US-Connecticut
- 250th Enstrom 480 produced as manufacturer welcomes French dealer
- Royal Thai Army prepares for more Enstrom 480Bs
- Enstrom Obtains Certification of Garmin® GTN 750
- 22-Mar-19 OK-CLV Enstrom 480 Slavoňov, Czech Republic (2F)
- Six more Enstrom 480s for Thailand
- Enstrom 480B receives Canadian certification
- New Zealand certifies current Enstrom models
- New 480B to South Africa
- Enstrom certifies Appareo Vision 1000
- LOM PRAHA TRADE a.s. and Enstrom Helicopter sign Contract
- 10-May-17 N480W Enstrom 480 Pfunders, Italy (1F)
- Enstrom Delivers 480B to Sharkeys Helicopter
- Enstrom signs new 5-year agreement for M250 engines
- R66 production numbers speed past the H120 total
- 09-Sep-15 G-IGHH Enstrom 280 Aldbury, UK
- Enstrom delivers last of 30 480Bs to Japanese Ground Self Defense Force
- Enstrom Delivers First 480B-G
- FAA approves Enstrom 480B-G – the Garmin G1000H equipped 480
- Enstrom Adds Dealers, Continues Innovation