The Bristol Evening Post is reporting that this year’s HeliDays event at Weston-super-Mare “has been axed after failing to attract any sponsors”.Â The report states that the organisers have been unable to attract funding for the three day event after losing a grant from the local town council.Â Given that the event only broke even the last two years, the lack of grant in economic times which are yet to improve, the cancellation decision was the only realistic one to be made.
HeliDays has attracted many people over its 20 year history, and will be missed by helicopter pilots and enthusiasts alike, plus of course the thousands of visitors it brought in by road.Â Over the years it has been run, the event has raised a very impressive total of over Â£500,000 for local charities.
Mr ap Rees is also reported as saying that there were “issues with military participation” which were also contributory to the decision, although he is hoping to run a scaled-down event on 23-24th July at the nearby Helicopter Museum, of which he is Chairman of the Trustees, and it could potentially see use of the adjacent Weston Airfield.Â Even this will require confirmation from various organisations and aircrews before it can be confirmed.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- FlightSafety appoints Executive Director of Operations
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Named ‘Best Tour Company’ in Hawaii
- Bell Awarded $28M Contract for UH-1N and TH-1H Support
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance to receive £1.5M grant towards £4M hangar
- Aviation Blade Services Joins First Aviation Services Family
- Rusada unveils new Technical Publications module for ENVISION
- US accident data heading for worst year in over a decade
- Derriford Hospital helipad sees 1700 landings in four years
- Geisinger Life Flight Implement WinAir Digital Signatures
- The Air Ambulance Service scoops national charity award
- Leonardo Helicopters picks workwear supplier for Yeovil production plant
- HAI Hires New Director of Government Affairs
- Heli-Parts Nevada acquired by Salus Aviation
- Heli-One appoints New VP H1 Operations
- DRF Luftrettung receives EURAMI certification
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Winner of 2019 Alfred Gessow Best Paper Award
- WJZ-CBS Baltimore Adds Robinson R66 Newscopter
- 1st CAB Commander Makes Final Flight
- Star Navigation Announces MEDEVAC Agreement with Airmedic Inc.
- Airbus makes changes to its Executive Committee