A Westland Lynx has recently been put on display outside Portland Marina, on the UK’s south coast.Â Previously the site of Royal Naval Air Station HMS Osprey, the Marina will be the venue for the sailing events of the London Olympics in 2012.Â At an event hosted by marina owners Dean and Reddyhoff, the helicopter was unveiled in front of servicemen and women, local dignitaries and members of the public.
This particular aircraft, carrying military serial XZ250 and squadron code 426, completed its service life after 32 years and eight days and accumulating 7,667 flying hours with 702, 815 and 829 squadrons and nine shipâ€™s flights operating around the world.Â It is displayed in the colours of the Black Cats display team.
The Lynx was formally unveiled of its battle ensign by Commodore Paul Chivers OBE RN, the Commanding Officer of RNAS Yeovilton and Lt Cdr Russ Clark, a Lynx Observer who flew the aircraft, as well as being husband and coach of Olympian Sailor Lt Cdr Penny Clark.
Commodore Chivers said: â€œThis Lynx is a reminder to all visitors to the marina of the Royal Navyâ€™s connections to Portland and the Fleet Air Armâ€™s activities around the world.â€
The Portland Marina Gate Guardian will remain in place throughout the Olympics in 2012 as a reminder of the long association of the Fleet Air Arm with Portland.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Helicopter Tactics Symposium drew lessons from past operations
- Air Methods to Refund Medicare Patients
- Leonardo and Abu Dhabi Aviation sign contracts
- Airbus highlighted products at DSE 2019
- Summit receives acclaimed Hire Vets Award
- Blood and plasma preserves aboard Christoph 53
- Airbus expands its power line footprint
- Bell Delivers Canada’s First Bell 407GXi
- Precision Aviation Group is receives Top Supplier Award
- Russian Helicopters obtained an authorization for servicing Ansat engines
- Falcon Aviation Services’ AW169 fleet leader sets 2,000FH milestone
- Jordan’s first female pilot trains in the USA
- Rostec attracts UAE investor for VR-Technoloiges
- Leonardo and Falcon Aviation Services launch groundbreaking urban mobility concept
- Airbus delivers first H145M to Luxembourg
- Follow-on Testing for LONGBOW Fire Control Radar Successful
- Airbus signs HCare contract with STARS Air Ambulance
- StandardAero Announces Opening of MRO Facility in Canada
- Mi-38 launched in the international market
- Leonardo delivers AW169M to Italian Guardia di Finanza