SELEX Galileo, a Finmeccanica company, recently completed the first tranche of US flight trials of its VigilX Airborne Enhanced Situational Awareness System.
The system, which enables pilots to see in zero light conditions, was flown in a series of sorties on a US DoD trials helicopter and demonstrated its potential to provide an innovative capability to aid the operation of battlefield helicopters at night and in degraded visual environments.
“Achieving this milestone allows us to position VigilX in the US marketplace, confirming the airborne performance of the system in battlefield helicopters, and its potential value to the US warfighter, which is always our goal,â€ said William â€œMacâ€ Wilkinson, SELEX Galileo Inc. Director Special Operations Business Development.
VigilX is a distributed aperture sensor system which processes inputs from a series of sensors distributed around an airborne platform to generate one integrated panoramic image, which allows the crew to â€˜see through the hullâ€™ of the aircraft.Â VigilX utilizes a combination of infrared (IR), low light (LL) and visible band (TV) cameras to allow optimum performance under all flying conditions. The system supports simultaneous and independent interrogation of the outside environment by multiple crew members. The ultra-low latency of VigilX (<17milliseconds) allows it to operate with modern helmet-mounted display (HMD) systems, in addition to head-up displays (HUD) and cockpit multi-functional displays (MFDs).
The VigilX system will be demonstrated in a simulated live flight mode on the Finmeccanica stand, (booth number 6015) during the Association of the United States Army annual convention, October 10th-13th.
- Specialized Navy Sailors Deployed with Marine Squadron ahead of V-22 Transition
- Thales H160 Level D sim approved
- Boeing, Honeywell and Rolls-partner on German CH-47 bid
- Wyoming Army National Guard activated to assist with California wildfires
- Bristow names new CFO
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance receives COVID19 cash from Government
- Christoph 43 completes 570 missions in first half of 2020
- New head of police air unit for Brazilian state of Ceara
- ARNG Helicopter modernization project
- Whirly-Girls Announce New Instrument Rating Scholarship for Female Aviators for 2021
- SAFE awarded USAF contract for CH-53 maintenance platforms
- Austria orders the AW169M
- HSC-22 Receives First MQ-8C Firescout
- Neptune Energy extends contract with CHC Helicopters
- Baden-Württemberg police take on new fire-fighting role
- Bell Presents the Turkish Director General of Forestry with the Outstanding Operational Readiness Award
- Bell Presents the Turkish National Police with the Outstanding Operational Readiness Award
- Cornwall Air Ambulance to feature in new TV series
- STARS to take over Lifeflight in Manitoba
- Volocopter offers reservations for commercial flights