SELEX Galileo, a Finmeccanica company, recently completed the first tranche of US flight trials of its VigilX Airborne Enhanced Situational Awareness System.
The system, which enables pilots to see in zero light conditions, was flown in a series of sorties on a US DoD trials helicopter and demonstrated its potential to provide an innovative capability to aid the operation of battlefield helicopters at night and in degraded visual environments.
“Achieving this milestone allows us to position VigilX in the US marketplace, confirming the airborne performance of the system in battlefield helicopters, and its potential value to the US warfighter, which is always our goal,â€ said William â€œMacâ€ Wilkinson, SELEX Galileo Inc. Director Special Operations Business Development.
VigilX is a distributed aperture sensor system which processes inputs from a series of sensors distributed around an airborne platform to generate one integrated panoramic image, which allows the crew to â€˜see through the hullâ€™ of the aircraft.Â VigilX utilizes a combination of infrared (IR), low light (LL) and visible band (TV) cameras to allow optimum performance under all flying conditions. The system supports simultaneous and independent interrogation of the outside environment by multiple crew members. The ultra-low latency of VigilX (<17milliseconds) allows it to operate with modern helmet-mounted display (HMD) systems, in addition to head-up displays (HUD) and cockpit multi-functional displays (MFDs).
The VigilX system will be demonstrated in a simulated live flight mode on the Finmeccanica stand, (booth number 6015) during the Association of the United States Army annual convention, October 10th-13th.
- Rivers State Government withdraws charges against Caverton Helicopters
- Netherlands – HeliCentre buys Entrol EC135 simulator
- Sri Lanka Aviation Unit in South Sudan Receive UN Medals
- Ehang supports Urban Air Mobility themed hotel
- COVID-19 – Ansat to transport patients with COVID-19 in isolation modules
- US Army test launches UAS from Black Hawk
- Australia – Rio Tintopledges A$500,000 to CareFlight
- Hereford County Hospital helipad is now open
- HAI Statement on NTSB Public Meeting of Survival Flight fatal accident
- Metro Aviation announces new Director of Operations
- Kaman K-MAX® Continues as a Proven Firefighting Asset
- COVID-19 – Airbus provides range of support help for customers
- AAMS Statement on NTSB Public Meeting of Survival Flight fatal accident
- ICRR funding boost sees AW109 return to 7 day working from June
- EBAA supports calls for cooperation on safe integration of drones
- ARGUS International & AirNav Systems Strategic Partnership
- DTN AviationSentry for Helicopters Launches in Europe
- Precision Support Services hires new General Manager
- Babcock MCS Italia loses first appeal over €51 Million fine
- Philippine attack helicopter purchase descends into deadlock