The Kaman Unmanned K-MAX cargo helicopter has received the Platinum Innovation Prize from the Connecticut Quality Improvement Award Partnership, Inc. The Unmanned K-MAX is an innovative helicopter that combines unique lift efficiency with the flexibility of programmable unmanned flight to handle a wide variety of military and civil missions.
â€œEven in an uncertain economy, Kaman Aerospace has shown that forward-looking organizations continue to introduce and bring to market new products and services,â€ said Sheila Carmine, founder and director of the Partnership. The award cites the Unmanned K-MAX cargo helicopter for â€œsaving lives through innovation,â€ and Carmine added that â€œNo other unmanned rotary-wing vehicle has the capability and the proven performance of Kaman’s Unmanned K-MAX.â€
â€œKaman is honored to receive a platinum CQIA Innovation Prize,â€ said Terry Fogarty, General Manager of Kaman Helicoptersâ€™ Unmanned Aircraft Systems Product Group, who accepted the award on the companyâ€™s behalf. â€œThe Unmanned K-MAXâ€™s proven performance and exceptional lift capability will enable our armed forces to handle combat resupply missions without exposing air crews to danger on the battlefield, and alleviate the exposure to improvised explosive devices associated with ground convoys. Kamanâ€™s innovation can truly save lives.â€
The Unmanned K-MAX, developed by Kaman Aerospace Corp.â€™s Helicopters Division and Lockheed Martin, has recently been given the go-ahead for deployment to Afghanistan for the U.S. Marine Corps Cargo Resupply Program. The program meets the urgent need for an unmanned aerial system to safely deliver supplies to U.S. armed forces in combat areas.
Kamanâ€™s manned version of the K-MAX has accumulated more than 265,000 flight hours in the commercial logging and firefighting industry, where it routinely delivers sling loads up to 6,000 pounds, and one million pounds per day in helicopter logging operations.
Founded in 1987, the Connecticut Quality Improvement Award Partnership, Inc. is Americaâ€™s first state-level quality award utilizing the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for Performance Excellence criteria. The CQIA Platinum Innovation Prize is the groupâ€™s highest award.
Kaman Helicopters is a division of Kaman Aerospace Corporation, a subsidiary of Kaman Corporation (NASDAQ-GS: KAMN). Founded in 1945 by aviation pioneer Charles H. Kaman, and headquartered in Bloomfield, Connecticut, Kaman conducts business in the aerospace and industrial distribution markets.
- Kaman K-MAX® Continues as a Proven Firefighting Asset
- Trust International appointed K-Max distributor in UAE
- Kaman K-Max advances civil and military autonomous flight programs
- Kaman to Deliver K-MAX® to Helicopter Express In 2019
- Kaman Receives Order For K-MAX® Helicopter
- Rotex Helicopter to take delivery of new KMax in Q4
- Kaman Opens New Helicopter Customer Service Center
- Kaman Awarded Contract to Reactivate USMC K-MAX®
- Kaman Announces Development of Next Generation
- EuroTec Demonstrates Completion Capabilities with KMAX Project
- Kaman Launches New K-MAX® Composite Blade Program
- Kaman Receives Additional K-MAX®Order
- Kaman announces two new K-Max customers
- Kaman annonces new K-Max Leasing Partnership
- Kaman to deliver three K-Max helicopters in March
- Kaman Receives Order from Columbia Basin
- Kaman delivers first two K-Max helicopters from re-started production line
- Kaman confident of extending K-Max production to 2019 at least
- Kaman Extends Production of Commercial K-MAX®
- Reopened Kaman K-Max production line reaches first flight