Sikorsky Aerospace Services today announced that the U.S. Department of State (DoS) has ordered three additional upgraded S-61 utility helicopters, bringing the total number purchased by DoS to 29 aircraft to date. Sikorsky Aerospace Services (SAS) is the aftermarket division of Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp.
“The S-61 helicopter is known as an industry workhorse and for decades has reliably performed missions for U.S. and foreign allied militaries. The upgraded S-61 helicopter can be outfitted to meet a wide variety of requirements, and we believe it provides ‘best-in-class-value’ for a mid-size, multi-mission helicopter. In December 2010, we proudly delivered the first upgraded S-61 aircraft to the U.S. State Department for passenger and cargo transport missions,” said John Johnson, Director, S-61 Programs.
The three aircraft will transport diplomatic personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan. Building on the S-61 helicopter’s 50-year legacy of dependability, SAS initiated the S-61 Upgrade Program in early 2010. As Sikorsky’s launch customer, the DoS has entered into a five-year IQ (indefinite quantity) agreement with the option to purchase up to 110 upgraded S-61 aircraft. This IQ purchase agreement serves as the contracting vehicle for any U.S. government agency to purchase upgraded S-61 aircraft.
The upgraded S-61 helicopters will undergo a full structural refurbishment with all major dynamic components zero-timed and key upgrades provided, including new composite main rotor blades (CMRB) and a survivability suite. The customer can select additional options such as a state-of-the-art glass cockpit and crashworthy primary and auxiliary fuel systems.
Sikorsky Aerospace Services, a Sikorsky company, provides comprehensive support to rotary and fixed wing operators worldwide. It offers its military and commercial customers a full portfolio of aftermarket support services, including material distribution, maintenance, overhaul & repair, aircraft modifications and life-cycle support. Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Conn., is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., provides a broad range of high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide.
- Sikorsky and United Aero Group sign S61 support agreement
- Far East air force looking to lease eight utility helicopters
- Malaysia celebrates 50 years service of S-61 fleet
- RMAF welcomes upgraded Nuri helicopter
- Royal Malaysian Air Force S-61 Fleet to Receive Universal Avionics Flight Deck Upgrade
- A Presidential Restoration
- AEM MCP02 Master Caution Panel approved by Transport Canada
- RAF donates Sea King to Falklands museum
- Heli-One to upgrade Malaysian S-61 fleet
- Royal Navy SAR Sea Kings leave Culdrose for the last time
- Donaldson gets STC for S-61 inlet barrier filters
- FAA Proposes $240,500 Civil Penalty Against Helicopter Transport Services
- Bristow winchman recognised by the Queen
- Babcock win large Royal Navy helicopter maintenance contract
- Heli-One to prepare pair of S61s for Omni Taxi Aereo
- Royal Air Force bows out of UK SAR responsibility
- UK – Boulmer SAR base closes as RAF ferries Sea Kings to storage
- Sikorsky awarded $16.3M for five VH-3D cabin interiors
- Canada re-selects Vector as sole T-58 engine MRO provider
- Last Sea King leaves RAF Valley