Successful sightseeing operator Blue Hawaiian Helicopters suffered a fatal accident on the island of Molokai on Thursday. Having taken off from Kahului on Maui island, the 45 minute tour.Â Molokai is a mostly rural island with about 7,000 resident population.
The tourists, two male and two female, were from Pennsylvania and Ontario according to local reports, one of which suggested that at least two were very recently married.Â Four bodies have been retrieved and the fifth one located under the wreckage.
Blue Hawaiian owner David Chevalier has stated that the helicopter was less than a year old.
An employee of the nearby Kilohana Elementary School saw the helicopter hit the hillside in the mountains above the campus, and there was a large boom, said Principal Richard Stevens.Â “We just had a heavy downpour. We made the assumption it was thunder,” Stevens said. “You could see smoke coming up, even though it was very cloudy.”Â The school campus is now being used by emergency services as a staging area and control post.
Blue Hawaiian Helicopters operates around 160,000 tourist flights a year.
HeliHub.com has a page for every reported accident.Â For this event, see 10-Nov-11 Eurocopter EC130 Molokai, US-Hawaii (5F)
- 21-Oct-19 N922RJ Airbus EC130 Oroville, US-California
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- LA County Sheriff buys a AS350 crash-resistant fuel tank
- Additional certification for DART’s EC/H130 Emergency Flotation System
- VFS EuroTec Receives FAA Validation for EC130 TrueBlue Main Ship Battery STC
- StandardAero expands AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank into European Market
- Dart receives EASA certification for EC130/H130 Cable Cutter System
- EuroTec Gains Approval for EC130/H130 Main Battery Kit
- StandardAero renews Air Methods AS350 and EC130 Components contract
- DART launches its new H130/EC130 Cable Cutter System
- EASA Certified AS350 Retrofittable Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Papillon Airways Sign MOU for 40 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tanks
- FAA certified retrofittable Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank for AS350 and EC130
- South Australia Police update EC130 with Wescam EO/IR
- Canada approves Donaldson IBF for AS350 and EC130
- Hospital Wing takes delivery of fourth H130
- Taiwan Leasing Firm to Finance Fifth H130 for PhilJets
- Vector and Robertson finalizing design of AS350/EC130 fuel tank
- Vector Aerospace expands FAA-approved ADS-B STC upgrade
- DART Aerospace Teams Up with Air Zermatt to Improve H130/EC130T2 Basket Performance