This is the text from the Preliminary Report.Â By its very nature, the details are subject to change and should not be relied upon. The Final Report for this incident will be issued in due course:-
On November 24, 2011, approximately 1900 central standard time, a Robinson R44 II helicopter, N821JV, sustained substantial damage when it impacted water following a loss of control while maneuvering near Hackensack, Minnesota. The private pilot sustained fatal injuries and the passenger sustained minor injuries. The helicopter was registered to Four Winds Leasing, LLC, Walker, Minnesota, and operated by the pilot. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. The flight departed Alexandria, Minnesota, at an unknown time.
According to local authorities who spoke with the passenger, the pilot was maneuvering for a landing near his residence. While in a hover over the lake, the passenger heard a “bang/boom” and the helicopter immediately yawed to the right and impacted the water. The passenger was able to swim to shore.
The helicopter was recovered from the lake on November 25th. Postaccident examination of the helicopter showed damage to the fuselage and main rotor blades. The helicopter was recovered to a secure facility for further examination.
- 13-Dec-19 N440AH Robinson R44 San Antonio, US-Texas
- AirX starts new link between Tokyo Heliport and Tokyo Narita Airport
- 25-Oct-19 ZT-RAL Robinson R44 Sinoville, South Africa
- 23-Oct-19 N225JM Robinson R44 Las Vegas, US-Nevada (2F)
- 21-Oct-19 UR-KTB Robinson R44 Tarasenkove, Ukraine (1F)
- Philippine National Police Chooses R44s for Training
- Robinson Introduces a New Flight Training Guide
- Robinson Delivers Two More Cadets
- Rotorcorp wins 2019 State and Regional Export Award
- Electric helicopter creators to receive award
- HQ Aviation gains approval as RR300 Authorized Service Center
- Sloane Helicopters celebrates its 500th new Robinson Helicopter
- 26-Feb-19 G-HWKS Robinson R44 Sketrick Island, UK
- 17-Feb-19 LN-ORH Robinson R44 Røldal, Norway (2F)
- 30-Jan-19 N484AB Robinson R44 Uvalde, US-Texas
- 01-Jan-19 PR-RMZ Robinson R44 Ubatuba, Brazil (1F)
- Robinson Adds Avidyne IFD Option
- 16-Dec-18 N803PT Robinson R44 Pontiac, US-Michigan
- Polish Air Force Adds Robinson R44s To Fleet
- SUU Aviation Program Adds a New Helicopter