This is the text from the Preliminary Report.Â By its very nature, the details are subject to change and should not be relied upon. The Final Report for this incident will be issued in due course:-
On November 24, 2011, approximately 1900 central standard time, a Robinson R44 II helicopter, N821JV, sustained substantial damage when it impacted water following a loss of control while maneuvering near Hackensack, Minnesota. The private pilot sustained fatal injuries and the passenger sustained minor injuries. The helicopter was registered to Four Winds Leasing, LLC, Walker, Minnesota, and operated by the pilot. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. The flight departed Alexandria, Minnesota, at an unknown time.
According to local authorities who spoke with the passenger, the pilot was maneuvering for a landing near his residence. While in a hover over the lake, the passenger heard a “bang/boom” and the helicopter immediately yawed to the right and impacted the water. The passenger was able to swim to shore.
The helicopter was recovered from the lake on November 25th. Postaccident examination of the helicopter showed damage to the fuselage and main rotor blades. The helicopter was recovered to a secure facility for further examination.
- 06-Jan-21 PR-WVW Robinson R44 Vila Velha, Brazil (2F)
- 01-Jan-21 C-FBGT Robinson R44 Eaglesham, Canada (4F)
- 20-Dec-20 N3264U Robinson R44 Morris, US-Illinois
- 16-Dec-20 ZK-IAY Robinson R44 Mahia Peninsula, New Zealand
- 15-Dec-20 ZK-??? Robinson R44 Te Anga, New Zealand
- 10-Dec-20 N7085Z Robinson R44 Colorado City, US-Texas (2F)
- 05-Dec-20 N371MP Robinson R44 II Marietta, US-Texas
- 02-Dec-20 VH-HGU Robinson R44 Marulan South, Australia (2F)
- Mornington Sanford Aviation adds EASA Part 147 approval for Robinson maintenance training
- 18-Nov-20 N442JP Robinson R44 Austell, US-Georgia
- R44 Cadet Enters Service with ICE Helicopters
- Air Florida Helicopter Charters voluntarily files for Chapter 11 protection
- Voler Aviation Services add third helicopter type to training fleet
- 20-Oct-20 RA-04327 Robinson R44 Bobrovskoye, Russia (4F)
- 19-Oct-20 N31136 Robinson R44 Washington Island, US-Wisconsin
- 16-Oct-20 N500DL Robinson R44 Pahrump, US-Nevada
- 03-Oct-20 C-FSSU Robinson R44 II Nottawasaga, Canada
- 12-Sep-20 N537BC Robinson R44 Willow, US-Alaska
- 29-Aug-20 B-7537 Robinson R44 Longnan, China (1F)
- 28-Aug-20 C-____ Robinson R44 New Liskeard, Canada