This is the text from the Preliminary Report.Â By its very nature, the details are subject to change and should not be relied upon. The Final Report for this incident will be issued in due course:-
On November 24, 2011, approximately 1900 central standard time, a Robinson R44 II helicopter, N821JV, sustained substantial damage when it impacted water following a loss of control while maneuvering near Hackensack, Minnesota. The private pilot sustained fatal injuries and the passenger sustained minor injuries. The helicopter was registered to Four Winds Leasing, LLC, Walker, Minnesota, and operated by the pilot. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. The flight departed Alexandria, Minnesota, at an unknown time.
According to local authorities who spoke with the passenger, the pilot was maneuvering for a landing near his residence. While in a hover over the lake, the passenger heard a “bang/boom” and the helicopter immediately yawed to the right and impacted the water. The passenger was able to swim to shore.
The helicopter was recovered from the lake on November 25th. Postaccident examination of the helicopter showed damage to the fuselage and main rotor blades. The helicopter was recovered to a secure facility for further examination.
- Rotor Accessories produces tear-resistant R44 sun shades
- Estonian Air Force starts retirement of the Robinson R44
- 26-Jul-20 G-WTWT Robinson R44 II Herne Bay, UK
- FAA Approves Lycoming’s Electronic Ignition System on Robinson Helicopters
- FAA approves updated STC for EIT Avionics radalt interface on R44
- Robinson’s Impact-Resistant Windshields Improve Bird Strike Protection
- Six Robinson Helicopters Delivered to China
- SAFE develops Pitch Adjustment Tool for Robinson R22, R44 and R66
- Robinson production falls off a cliff in 2019
- 13-Dec-19 N440AH Robinson R44 San Antonio, US-Texas
- AirX starts new link between Tokyo Heliport and Tokyo Narita Airport
- 25-Oct-19 ZT-RAL Robinson R44 Sinoville, South Africa
- 23-Oct-19 N225JM Robinson R44 Las Vegas, US-Nevada (2F)
- 21-Oct-19 UR-KTB Robinson R44 Tarasenkove, Ukraine (1F)
- Philippine National Police Chooses R44s for Training
- 15-Jul-19 N144TG Robinson R44 II Hayward, US-California (1F)
- 17-Jun-19 N7187D Robinson R44 Catalina Island, US-California (1F)
- 02-Jun-19 N41351 Robinson R44 II near Mulberry Mountain, US-Arkansas (3F)
- 17-May-19 N744TW Robinson R44 II Alpine, US-Utah (2F)
- Robinson Introduces a New Flight Training Guide