Sagem (Safran group) signed a contract with SIMMAD to provide life-cycle support for the STRIX turret-mounted, gyrostabilized observation and sighting systems on Tiger HAP combat and fire support helicopters deployed by the French armyâ€™s air arm (ALAT).
The five-year contract covers 50 STRIX systems and associated logistics. It includes support by the hour for curative maintenance and a flat rate for preventive servicing of certain line replaceable units. Covering both France and overseas theaters of operation, the contract also provides for Sagem to set up a dedicated hot line in conjunction with ALAT units operating Tiger helicopters.
Contract services will be provided by Sagemâ€™s Dijon and Poitiers plants for optronics modules, and by the MontluÃ§on plant for the gyroscopic stabilization devices.
The STRIX optronic turret, mounted over the cockpit, is a major part of the Eurocopter Tigerâ€™s weapon system. On the HAP version of the Tiger, the STRIX system provides full day/night support for all missions: observation, reconnaissance and target identification, along with the operation of its weapon systems, the 30 mm cannon, rockets and Mistral air-to-air missiles.
During combat operations in the summer of 2011 (OpÃ©ration Harmattan, French contribution to Nato operation Unified Protector), the STRIX sight demonstrated its efficiency on deployments the French navyâ€™s Tonnerre and Mistral BPC class amphibious assault, command and power projection ships, in mobile air support operations that proved decisive in the conflict. These systems have been deployed in Afghanistan since 2009, within the scope of the PAMIR operation.
Sagem is the European leader in gyrostabilized optronic systems for military helicopters. It develops and produces the entire STRIX and OSIRIS observation and sighting systems for all versions of the Eurocopter Tiger helicopter, deployed by Germany, Australia, Spain and France.
* SIMMAD (Structure IntÃ©grÃ©e du Maintien des MatÃ©riels AÃ©ronautiques du ministÃ¨re de la DÃ©fense) is a joint services entity, reporting to French air force headquarters, that overseas maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) services for aircraft deployed by all services of the armed forces.Â
SagemÂ , a high-tech company in the Safran group, holds world or European leadership positions in optronics, avionics, electronics and safety-critical software for both civil and military markets. Sagem is the No. 1 company in Europe and No. 3 worldwide for inertial navigation systems (INS) used in air, land and naval applications. It is also the world leader in helicopter flight controls and the European leader in optronics and tactical UAV systems. Operating across the globe through the Safran group, Sagem and its subsidiaries employ 7,000 people in Europe, Southeast Asia and North America. Sagem is the commercial name of the company Sagem DÃ©fense SÃ©curitÃ©.
For more information:Â www.sagem-ds.com
- NTSB calls for mandatory Flight Data Recorders in all turbine helicopters
- Era Group Announces Board Approval of Reverse Stock Split
- Bristow Group Announces Stock Repurchases
- Cornwall Air Ambulance suffers £1.5M income shortfall
- NBAA Requests Extension for GA Pilot Medicals
- Police Aviation News – June 2020 Edition
- First Ukraine Police Airbus H145 commences flight test phase
- Polish Police retire Kania helicopter to museum
- Bell Offers Comprehensive Program for new Commercial Aircraft Customers
- Universal Helicopters closes its doors after almost 60 years of operations
- Gama Aviation starts Scottish EMS operations after taking contract back from Babcock
- Heli Hero names added to new helicopter
- Q1 production analysis – Airbus rises while every other OEM falls
- Nigerian Navy receives AW139 helicopter
- Penn College aviation students receive industry scholarships
- EHang wins approval for autonomous air logistics operations
- Genesys flight testing their avionics suite on Black Hawks
- Pulselite® Bird Strike Prevention System STC Expanded to Include Bell 429 and Bell 505
- EBAA to provide members with live aviation security alerts from Osprey
- COVID-19 – AW139 supporting COVID-19 operations in Canada