LORD Corporation was recently selected by Sikorsky Aircraft, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX) as a member of a newly-formed team that is building two next-generation helicopter prototypes for evaluation by the U.S. military.
Designated the S-97 RAIDERâ„¢ helicopter, the aircraft is at the forefront of future rotorcraft design and is a follow-up to Sikorsky’s successful X2 TECHNOLOGYâ„¢ demonstrator aircraft, which in September 2010 reached 250 knots flight speed, or twice the average maximum flight speed of a conventional helicopter. The National Aeronautic Association (NAA) awarded Sikorsky the 2010 Robert J. Collier Trophy for the achievement.
LORD Corporation’s elastomeric bearings and its Active Vibration Control System will enable the aircraft to demonstrate significant improvements to a conventional helicopter’s performance. The program is currently in the advanced design stage. Sikorsky expects to fly the RAIDER aircraft in 2014.
“LORD joined the S-97 RAIDER helicopter team because of our leadership and expertise in vibration control systems and our overall drive for innovation,” said Joe Marotta, president, Americas, LORD Corporation. “We look forward to delivering game changing technology to this ground-breaking platform.”
Like the X2 Technology demonstrator, the S-97 RAIDER helicopter will feature coaxial counter-rotating main rotors and a pusher propeller that will provide dramatic improvements in maneuverability, hover efficiency, high/ hot climate performance, and speed. The X2 Technology design is scalable, opening up a variety of potential mission uses including combat search and rescue, armed aerial scout, medical evacuation (MEDEVAC), attack, special operations, VIP and offshore oil transport.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX), is based in Stratford, Conn., and is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture, and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., provides a broad range of high-technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.
- Triumph Geared Solutions Recognized by Sikorsky
- S-97 Raider Program Launches Ground Tests
- Sikorsky grounded S97 Raider after just two free flights
- S-97 Raider has TTTech’s TTEthernet® Deterministic Ethernet Solution on Board
- Sikorsky S-97 Raider flies for first time
- PPG produces transparencies for first S-97 Raider
- International Representatives View CH-53K Helicopter
- Sikorsky Begins Final Assembly of Second S-97 Raider
- Sikorsky Collaborates with LORD Corporation to Unveil S-97 Raider
- Sikorsky Unveils S-97 Raider
- Ducommun Recognized as Critical Partner on S-97 Raider program
- Sikorsky Aircraft Selects LORD Corporation’s UltraConductive™ Technology for the S-97 RAIDER™ Helicopter Program
- Sikorsky selects Lord Corp UltraConductive™ Technology for S-97 Raider
- S-97 Raider closer to first flight with power on for first time
- S-97 Raider enters final assembly
- Budget freezes US Army Armed Aerial Scout program
- PPG to supply S-97 Raider transparencies
- Sikorsky launch microsite for S-97 Raider
- Rotating Composite Technologies to supply S-97 Raider pusher prop
- GE selected as engine supplier for S-97 Raider