Scottâ€™s â€“ Bell 47, Inc. (SB47) today announced that they have contracted with IAC Ltd. to develop new composite main rotor blades for the model 47 fleet. IAC is an internationally recognized main and tail rotor blade repair & overhaul service provider in Fort Worth, Texas with FAA certifications to inspect & repair all major OEMâ€™s rotor blades. In addition to repair activities, IAC and its affiliates are currently developing new blade designs for several helicopter models.
The new main rotor blade will consist of a custom selected airfoil for improved performance and will be developed using the latest composite materials design & manufacturing technologies. SB47 anticipates this new airfoil will provide increases in hover performance and a reduction in fuel burn. The development plan also includes fatigue & damage tolerance testing planned to demonstrate a service life increase over the current 5,000 flight hours for the Bell designed metal blades. SB47 also confirmed that the composite blade will be designed to retain the Model 47 helicopterâ€™s best-in-class Autorotation capability. It is intended that these new blades be interchangeable in pairs with the current metal blades in-service.
â€œWe think this is a very exciting development for the model 47 operators.â€ stated Scott Churchill, President/Owner of Scottâ€™s â€“ Bell 47, Inc. â€œWe have been getting asked for some time if we were considering a composite main rotor blade, and after working with a number of potential suppliers it was clear that this is the right choice rather than continuing to manufacture the existing metal blades.â€
â€œThe value proposition for a composite main rotor blade is extremely positive.â€ stated Neil Marshall, General Manager of Scottâ€™s â€“ Bell 47. â€œImproved performance, potential for improved service life, inherent damage tolerance, manufacturing consistency blade-to-blade, and we are able to provide this while maintaining the best-in-class autorotation performance of the Model 47.â€ Also with an eye to safety the new blades will come as standard with a high visibility paint scheme. â€œWe expect the new blades to be available late 2013 and we will keep our customer base informed as we progress towards that goal. Considering the recent announcement of a new Instrument Panel for the Model 47, we believe this sends a strong message to the marketplace that SB47 is committed to developing the Model 47 fleet.â€
SB47 will offer customers the option to advance order the new composite main rotor blades at an introductory price starting at the upcoming Heli-Expo in Dallas, Texas next month. IAC, Ltd will also be on-hand at the show to answer questions regarding the new blades.
About Scottâ€™s â€“ Bell 47, Inc.
Scottâ€™s â€“ Bell 47, Inc., under the private ownership of Scott Churchill, is a sister company to Scottâ€™s Helicopter Services Inc., one of the largest operators of Model 47 helicopters in the world, and Texas Helicopter Co., Inc., manufacturer of the WASP helicopter and a FAA PMA parts supplier & STC holder for the Model 47. SB47 is the Type Certificate holder for all FAA type certificated model 47 helicopters and provides OEM level customer support to the fielded fleet.
About IAC Ltd.
IAC ltd. is a privately held company founded in 1992 and is the largest independent repairer of helicopter rotor blades. They are a market leader in the design and installation of complex, innovative repairs to critical rotor blade structure. IACâ€™s focus in developing new blade designs for legacy aircraft is to provide much needed performance improvements while increasing safety through extensive use of flaw tolerant advanced composites.
- 01-Jan-21 N74823 Bell 47D1 Marana, US-Arizona
- 24-Nov-20 YN-CIQ Continental Copters Tomcat Chinandega, Nicaragua (1F)
- 04-Aug-20 D-HIPO Bell 47G4A Lübstorf, Germany
- 18-Oct-19 N7060J Bell 47G5 King City, US-California
- 20-Aug-17 N9526 Bell 47G2A St Marys, US-Pennsylvania
- 23-May-17 XB-LUB Bel 47D Amacuzac, Mexico (1F)
- 10-May-17 D-HAFB Westland-Bell 47 Pertisau, Austria (2F)
- 18-Oct-15 N73224 Bell 47G3B Searchlight, US-Nevada
- 11-Aug-15 N74823 Bell 47D1 Clanton, US-Alabama
- 03-Aug-15 N4002G Bell 47G3B1 Camden, US-Alabama
- 24-Jul-15 N1396X Bell 47G.4A Gilbert, US-Iowa
- 20-Jun-15 N4427F Bell 47G5 Salinas, US-California (1F)
- 27-Mar-15 C-GVHA Bell 47G.2 Chilliwack, Canada
- 27-Feb-15 N4774S Bell 47G2A Ivanhoe, US-California
- 29-Jan-15 N43762 Bell 47 White Rock, US-Arkansas
- 29-Jan-15 N43762 Bell 47G North Little Rock, US-Arkansas
- Bell delivers last of six 407GXs to Pennsylvania State Police
- India – Aviation school museum gets Bell 47G
- 12-Aug-14 N7089J Bell 47G-5 Mansfield, US-Illinois (1F)
- 10-Aug-14 N4690 Bell 47G-2 Jeanerette, US-Louisiana (1F)