Moscow-based newspaper Vedomosti is today saying that Russia is preparing to order over 100 Eurocopter AS350 and AS355 helicopters to train military pilots. The initial phase is a public procurement notice filed on Friday 17th February for 15 single- and 30 twin-engined helicopters, but with pricing to be based on an eventual order for over 100 airfcraft.
Defence officials have reportedly intimated that production of these helicopters would be made by “Heliprom-Petersburg”, a joint venture company between Eurocopter and local company Rosoboronexport. It would also be a first bulk order of foreign-design helicopters for the Russian military, who up to now have only had a handful of helicopters made outside the country – German-built Eurocopter models including Bo105, BK117 and EC145 for the Emergency Ministry.
The move is seen as a snub to the Mil Mi-34, which is going through an upgrade but the new model has not yet been certified. This lack of type approval has been cited as one reason to go for the Eurocopter option. The Ka226 could also be an outside contender but was rejected on cost grounds.
Nikolai Vanesev – HeliHub.com Moscow correspondent
- Entrol launches the H05 / H125 FNPT II simulator
- Astronics Enhanced Vision Systems Receives Approval for AS350s
- 13-Sep-20 PP-MRA Airbus AS350 Arapiraca, Brazil
- GPMS wins STC for Foresight Predictive HUMS on AS350
- 06-Sep-20 N354PA Airbus AS350B2 Fort Greely, US-Alaska
- 01-Sep-20 N139HN Airbus EC130 Winchester, US-Kentucky
- 25-Aug-20 N160SH Airbus AS350B2 Tuxedni Bay, US-Alaska
- GPMS launches subscription-model HUMS
- Saudi operator orders ten Airbus H125s
- 17-Aug-20 C-FAHC Airbus AS350B2 Stewart, Canada (1F)
- 17-Aug-20 C-FAHC Airbus AS350 Stewart, Canada (1F)
- 12-Aug-20 C-GNZF Airbus AS350B2 Sacré-Coeur, Canada
- 12-Aug-20 C-GNZF Airbus AS350B2 Les Bergeronne, Canada
- 04-Aug-20 TG-PME Airbus AS350 Chisec, Guatemala (1F)
- 31-Jul-20 CC-DAM Airbus AS350B3 Santiago, Chile
- 26-Jul-20 F-GNLM Airbus AS350 Clermont-Ferrand, France
- SPAES modifies AS350 external mirror mounting
- Four new Airbus H125s for Norwegian operators in one week
- 12-Apr-20 N160CC Airbus H125 Tampa, US-Florida
- FAA approves Garmin GFC600H Helicopter Flight Control System in AS350