Moscow-based newspaper Vedomosti is today saying that Russia is preparing to order over 100 Eurocopter AS350 and AS355 helicopters to train military pilots. The initial phase is a public procurement notice filed on Friday 17th February for 15 single- and 30 twin-engined helicopters, but with pricing to be based on an eventual order for over 100 airfcraft.
Defence officials have reportedly intimated that production of these helicopters would be made by “Heliprom-Petersburg”, a joint venture company between Eurocopter and local company Rosoboronexport. It would also be a first bulk order of foreign-design helicopters for the Russian military, who up to now have only had a handful of helicopters made outside the country – German-built Eurocopter models including Bo105, BK117 and EC145 for the Emergency Ministry.
The move is seen as a snub to the Mil Mi-34, which is going through an upgrade but the new model has not yet been certified. This lack of type approval has been cited as one reason to go for the Eurocopter option. The Ka226 could also be an outside contender but was rejected on cost grounds.
Nikolai Vanesev – HeliHub.com Moscow correspondent
- SPAES modifies AS350 external mirror mounting
- Four new Airbus H125s for Norwegian operators in one week
- 12-Apr-20 N160CC Airbus H125 Tampa, US-Florida
- FAA approves Garmin GFC600H Helicopter Flight Control System in AS350
- Airbus adds more power and enhanced aerial work capabilities for the H125
- Air Zermatt picks VR technology H125 training solution
- StandardAero and Robertson Announce First Canadian Customer for AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Ukraine Border Guards receive first two Airbus H125s
- 26-Dec-19 N985SA Airbus AS350B2 Kauai, US-Hawaii (7F)
- StandardAero and Thales Team on AS350 autopilot
- 09-Dec-19 ZK-HPB Airbus AS350B2 White Island, New Zealand
- AS350 heating and demisting system improvement
- All change at Soloy with STCs sold and now new owners too
- Airbus H125 helicopters enter Austrian Ministry of Interior service
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- 23-Sep-19 VT-UTC Airbus H125 Kedarnath, India
- LA County Sheriff buys a AS350 crash-resistant fuel tank
- Oklahoma City Police buy two AS350 crash-resistant fuel tanks
- Oceania Aviation Prepare Right Hand H125/AS350 Cargo Pod
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU