Moscow-based newspaper Vedomosti is today saying that Russia is preparing to order over 100 Eurocopter AS350 and AS355 helicopters to train military pilots. The initial phase is a public procurement notice filed on Friday 17th February for 15 single- and 30 twin-engined helicopters, but with pricing to be based on an eventual order for over 100 airfcraft.
Defence officials have reportedly intimated that production of these helicopters would be made by “Heliprom-Petersburg”, a joint venture company between Eurocopter and local company Rosoboronexport. It would also be a first bulk order of foreign-design helicopters for the Russian military, who up to now have only had a handful of helicopters made outside the country – German-built Eurocopter models including Bo105, BK117 and EC145 for the Emergency Ministry.
The move is seen as a snub to the Mil Mi-34, which is going through an upgrade but the new model has not yet been certified. This lack of type approval has been cited as one reason to go for the Eurocopter option. The Ka226 could also be an outside contender but was rejected on cost grounds.
Nikolai Vanesev – HeliHub.com Moscow correspondent
- AS350 heating and demisting system improvement
- All change at Soloy with STCs sold and now new owners too
- Airbus H125 helicopters enter Austrian Ministry of Interior service
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- 23-Sep-19 VT-UTC Airbus H125 Kedarnath, India
- LA County Sheriff buys a AS350 crash-resistant fuel tank
- Oklahoma City Police buy two AS350 crash-resistant fuel tanks
- Oceania Aviation Prepare Right Hand H125/AS350 Cargo Pod
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU
- STC Count for AEM’s LSS880 Loudspeaker System Continues to Increase
- Airbus and Swiss Rotor Solutions promoting use of Maximum Pilot View Kit
- StandardAero expands AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank into European Market
- LORD Corporation Announces New AS350 Tail Rotor Bearing
- 27-Feb-19 9M-AMI Airbus H125 Pathibhara, Nepal (7F)
- 18-Feb-19 N350ST Airbus AS350SD2 Glacier View, US-Alaska
- 17-Feb-19 ZK-HEX Airbus AS350 Nelson, New Zealand
- 29-Jan-19 N680DG Airbus AS350B2 Tampa, US-Florida
- 25-Jan-19 I-EDIC Airbus AS350B2 La Thuile, Italy (7F)
- 24-Jan-19 F-OFML Airbus H125 Grand-Brûlé, Reunion
- 14-Jan-19 PP-ECF Airbus AS350BA Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (1F)