Having failed to get helicopter noise legislation into the compromise FAA authorization bill, Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) has broadened the scope of his proposal and is now trying to attach it to the highway trust fund authorization bill currently being debated on Capitol Hill.
The proposedÂ Schumer amendmentÂ now includes language affecting the south shore of Long Island and airspace over a state he does not represent â€“ Californiaâ€™s Los Angeles County. HAI members need to let their members of Congress know they oppose legislation that puts greater emphasis on noise than safety.
Recognizing Schumerâ€™s proposal as bad lawmaking, the U.S. House of Representatives rejected the proposal when they declined to include it in their version of the FAA authorization bill, and convinced their Senate counterparts to do the same during the conference committee meetings that led to the recently enacted bill.
While the legislation is currently pending only in the Senate, members of both chambers need to be made aware of the potential ramifications if passed.
HAI members may wish to consider the following points as they prepare comments for their representatives.
– The FAAâ€™s primary responsibility is the safe operation of the U.S. national airspace system;
– Allowing local noise concerns alone to drive FAA regulatory changes to airspace design and access sets a precedent that jeopardizes a cohesive national airspace system;
– Exemptions included in the amendment mean that private and corporate aviation are singled out;
– Voluntary compliance with mutually agreed guidelines developed cooperatively by local communities, aircraft operators, and regulators are more effective at addressing community concerns than legislatively mandated â€œfixes.â€
Congressional legislators need to understand the potential consequences of Sen. Schumerâ€™s proposed amendment. You can find contact information for your representatives and senators atÂ www.house.govÂ andÂ www.senate.gov.
Photo – David Shankbone
- Indonesian Army selects 9 Bell 412EPI
- NHV expands executive team
- HAL LCH Demonstrates Unique Capability
- Sikorsky Awarded $7M Contract for CH-53K Systems Modifications
- Adar Poonawalla takes delivery of India’s first ACH145
- Helijet supports Power To Be with new partnership
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Chief Operating Officer
- Unique Aerospace Physiology and Human Performance Update Course to be provided at Heli-Expo 2019
- Triumph Awarded DLA Contract Extension
- Sikorsky grants Make-A-Wish® Foundation with a S-76 ride
- 7 trainee paramedics start at HIOW Air Ambulance
- Bristow FY2019 Q3 earnings release and concall scheduled
- Donate Items to the HFI Silent Auction
- USMC receives last UH-1Y Venom
- NEMSPA/USHST Joint IFR Helicopter Pilot Survey
- NHRMC Stations AirLink Aircraft at Medical Center
- CHC wins planning approval for Aberdeen facility upgrade
- Profile – Kathryn Purwin of Helinet
- DRF Luftrettung opens 10th night flight station
- Austin Peay introduces first helicopter in its rotor-wing fleet