L-3 WESCAM announced that it has received an order from CHC Ireland Ltd to provide MXâ„¢-15 electro-optical and infrared (EO/IR) imaging systems for installation on S-92Â® search and rescue (SAR) aircraft. Installation of the turrets will be completed by Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation and deployed to Ireland in support of the Irish Coast Guardâ€™s fleet replacement program. The newly equipped S-92s will be utilized for SAR missions and operate from bases located near Shannon, Dublin, Waterford and Sligo, Ireland. The first system was delivered in January and remaining systems are scheduled to be delivered during 2013.
â€œThis order pairs the most modern SAR helicopter with the most advanced EO/IR sensor to provide a vital capability for lifesaving missions,â€ said Paul Jennison, vice president of government sales and business development for L-3 WESCAM. â€œWe are proud to be selected as a key contributor to the fleet replacement program and are looking forward to a long and successful partnership with the Irish Coast Guard, CHC Ireland and Sikorsky.â€
â€œWe are committed to providing a fully modernised, world-class search and rescue service for Ireland,â€ said Mark Kelly, managing director for CHC Ireland. â€œThe roll-out of the MX-15i marks another step in the continued programme of investment we are making to ensure our crews are best equipped to continue the lifesaving work they carry out on a daily basis.â€
L-3 WESCAMâ€™s MX-15i will provide the Irish Coast Guard with the most technologically advanced multi-sensor EO/IR imaging capability available. The system has been engineered as a one-line replacement unit solution, which reduces installation weight by 25 percent and increases much-needed cabin space for transporting rescue victims. The systemâ€™s digital IR camera is capable of a 20 percent increase in visual range, allowing missions at night or in inclement weather to result in a higher search success rate. In addition, the system comes with WESCAMâ€™s MX-GEO Gen. 3 package, which incorporates GEO-Scan, Automated Video/GEO-Tracking and Adaptive-GEO technologies. Together, this software suite helps deliver maximum geographic location accuracy and significantly reduces operator fatigue that often arises in demanding and stressful SAR operations.
Maintenance of the MX-15i systems will be performed in the U.K. at one of L-3 WESCAMâ€™s authorised service centers.
L-3 WESCAM is a world leader in the design and manufacture of stabilized, multi-spectral airborne imaging systems. To learn more about L-3 WESCAM, please visit the companyâ€™s website at www.wescam.com.
- Babcock swaps aircraft between UK and Australia
- 18-Feb-10 Sikorsky H-92 Kauai, US-Hawaii
- HeliTSA starts S92 maintenance training in Australia, secures own Part 147 approval
- Babcock takes delivery of another new S92
- Sikorsky relocates and expands parts stock in Brazil
- Milestone grows S92 fleet to 95 Helicopters
- Canada Certifies Increased Gross Weight for S-92
- Thai Aviation Services begins S-92 helicopter training
- Bristow UK Secures Contract to Support TAQA’s UK Operations
- Sikorsky Advances iFly Sikorsky™
- Sikorsky delivers 300th S92
- CHC introduces AW189 in Australia
- Sonar problem stops Canadian S92 deck landings
- Science Channel to feature S92 in new Mega Machines series
- S92 Helicopters Certified to Operate in Mexico
- Bristow Norway wins five year contracts for two S92s
- Sikorsky complete first year of S92 spares centre in Norway
- Thai Aviation Services picks Skytrac for S76D and S92 fleet
- EASA approves Outerlink Flight Data Monitoring system for S92
- JSSI Enrolls Sikorsky S92 onto Tip-to-Tail Program