Appareo has introduced the first completely wire-free weather receiver for the iPad–and it requires no monthly subscription. Stratus combines an ADS-B and GPS receiver into a single unit that wirelessly streams NEXRAD radar, text weather, TFRs and aircraft position to the popular ForeFlight Mobile app for iOS devices.
â€œStratus delivers exactly what pilots have been asking for–a simple, smart and subscription-free way to view in-flight weather on their iPad,â€ says Sportyâ€™s Pilot Shop Vice President John Zimmerman. â€œItâ€™s incredibly easy to use, with just one button and virtually no setup.â€
The totally portable design includes an internal eight-hour battery, a high-gain internal antenna, and a WiFi connection to the iPad, so Stratus can be placed on the glare shield and out of the way. It is easy to move from airplane to airplane, making it ideal for renters, flying clubs and corporate flight departments.
Stratus is a collaboration between Sportyâ€™s, ForeFlight and Appareo Systems.
â€œForeFlight, Appareo, and Sportyâ€™s worked closely to ensure that the experience provided by Stratus would be best in class among portable ADS-B weather receivers and iPad applications,â€ says ForeFlight Co-Founder Tyson Weihs. â€œPilots flying with Stratus and ForeFlight Mobile will see ADS-B information integrated throughout the app. Nice touches – like the ability to remotely control LED brightness and real-time ADS-B station information – will make flying with Stratus a joy.â€
Stratus wirelessly streams the full suite of available weather products: NEXRAD, METARs, TAFs, SIGMETs, AIRMETs, PIREPs, TFRs, and winds aloft. Stratus also includes a built-in WAAS GPS receiver that provides high-quality position information to ForeFlight Mobileâ€™s moving map, which includes VFR sectional and IFR enroute charts.
â€œStratus is a high-performance product that leverages Appareoâ€™s years of ADS-B expertise.â€ says Jeff Johnson, Vice President of Business Development at Appareo. â€œDesigned and manufactured at Appareoâ€™s facilities in Fargo, North Dakota, Stratus is built and tested to withstand a wide range of operating conditions. Pilots have looked forward to a high-quality, wire-free, battery powered device that is tightly integrated with ForeFlight. Stratus meets these needs and more.â€
The WiFi connection allows multiple iPads to connect to Stratus, making it possible for two-pilot crews to view weather on separate iPads. Stratus weighs less than 12 oz, and measures 4.25â€w x 5.75â€d x 1â€h. Stratus is available for $799 and comes with a wall plug and charging cable. Stratus may be ordered at www.appareo.com/stratusÂ or atÂ www.sportys.com/stratus.
- Helicopter Tactics Symposium drew lessons from past operations
- Air Methods to Refund Medicare Patients
- Leonardo and Abu Dhabi Aviation sign contracts
- Airbus highlighted products at DSE 2019
- Summit receives acclaimed Hire Vets Award
- Blood and plasma preserves aboard Christoph 53
- Airbus expands its power line footprint
- Bell Delivers Canada’s First Bell 407GXi
- Precision Aviation Group is receives Top Supplier Award
- Russian Helicopters obtained an authorization for servicing Ansat engines
- Falcon Aviation Services’ AW169 fleet leader sets 2,000FH milestone
- Jordan’s first female pilot trains in the USA
- Rostec attracts UAE investor for VR-Technoloiges
- Leonardo and Falcon Aviation Services launch groundbreaking urban mobility concept
- Airbus delivers first H145M to Luxembourg
- Follow-on Testing for LONGBOW Fire Control Radar Successful
- Airbus signs HCare contract with STARS Air Ambulance
- StandardAero Announces Opening of MRO Facility in Canada
- Mi-38 launched in the international market
- Leonardo delivers AW169M to Italian Guardia di Finanza