The 763rd Maintenance Squadron transitioned to the 823rd Maintenance Squadron Apr.10 at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
The name change signifies the squadron’s alignment with its sister-squadrons to become a more cohesive unit.
The 763rd originally fell under the 563rd Maintenance Group at Air Force Special Operations Command, but the squadron was redesignated after it moved to Air Combat Command and the 23rd Maintenance Group.
“[This transition] will align us with the rest of the 23rd Maintenance Group,” said Chief Master Sgt. McKinney Crawford, 763rd MXG maintenance superintendant. “Our squadrons are all HH-60 helicopter squadrons. The one in Moody [Air Force Base] is the 723rd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron and the one in Davis-Mothan [Air Force Base] is 923rd MXS, but we’re still carrying 763rd MXS, which is the old designator from AFSOC when we use to fall under 563rd group.”
Squadron members said they are excited for the change over and alignment with sister squadrons.
“We’ll be part of a three-squadron group,” said Master Sgt. Dana Sawyer, 763rd MXS weapons section chief.
Sawyer said the change is important for the group because it demonstrates, “the unity of the three different squadrons.”
The day-to-day operations for those under the 763rd MXG will not differ because of the redesignation.
“[This transition is] going to be pretty much transparent to everyone that works here,” Crawford said. “It’s not going to encompass anything new, and we won’t have to reorganize any flight, section or anything like that.
“What the change does do for us is make sure we know what our identity is,” he said. “And, that is very important.”
The squadron’s new identity and pride are reflected throughout Airmen of the 823rd MXS.
“Showing the unity of the three different squadrons is important,” Sawyer said. “I think it actually instills more pride to be part of something bigger. We feel like we’re more of a team.”
- PAS MRO awarded $9M contract to overhaul UH-60 tip caps
- Helinet enters firefighting market with UH-60 contract win
- Collins Aerospace promotes Goodrich rescue hoist on S70 Firehawk
- Telephonics flight tests MOSAIC AESA Radar System on MH-60S
- Luma Technologies offers Goggle Ready LED Solutions for UH-60 / S-70 Operators
- Simplex awarded FAA certification for Internal Fire Attack System
- 1st CAB Commander Makes Final Flight
- CPI Aero Secures Additional Orders From Sikorsky
- Rockwell Collins Awarded $49M Contract for UH-60 Display Unit Overhaul
- AAI Corp. Awarded $20M Contract for JSECST for CV-22, UH-47 and UH-60
- Sikorsky Awarded $23M Contract for UH-60 Overhaul
- Coulson and Unical join forces to form Coulson Unical
- US Army selects GE’s T901 engine
- Triumph Awarded DLA Contract Extension
- Polish Police recieve two S70i Black Hawks
- Fort McCoy celebrates 40 years of the Black Hawk
- CPI Aero wins UH-60 Hover Infrared Suppression System order
- Sikorsky Awarded $29M Contract for UH-60 Support
- Sikorsky Awarded $61M Contract for UH-60 Repairs
- General Electric awarded $18M contract for UH-60 pipe exhausts