The Hawaii Army National Guard today dedicated its two new UH-72A Lakota helicopters at the Guard’s Aviation Support Facility No. 2 in Hilo. The Lakota helicopters have replaced the older model OH-58 Kiowa helicopters. The Lakota is the Army’s most modern Light Utility Helicopter. Hawaii is one of the first states to receive the new rotary-wing aircraft manufactured by American Eurocopter. The helicopters will be maintained and flown by the soldiers of Detachment 2, Company B, 3/140 Aviation Regiment.
The mission of the detachment will be to provide aerial command and control, surveillance and reconnaissance, and search and rescue capabilities. It is equipped with video equipment that can see in infrared and its communications suite is compatible with civil authorities such as fire fighters and police. It is also designed to be able to medevac injured patients to a hospital.
The UH-72A provides the Hawaii National Guard with much greater capabilities to support civil authorities during times of natural disasters or to help county fire fighters and police locate missing people in remote locations. It has two engines and can fly from Hilo to Lihue without having to refuel. It can remain on station for up to three hours.
Pastor Charles Kama provided the blessing and benediction over the aircraft at today’s ceremony. The helicopters were transported to Hawaii from the manufacturing plant about two weeks ago via U.S. Air Force C-17 aircraft.
- V-22 Osprey Marks Three Decades of Transforming Military Aviation
- FlightSafety and Metro Aviation celebrate five years of Louisiana Level D simulators
- HELP Appeal donation upgrades Royal Preston Hospital helipad
- Babcock Flight Training Adelaide Graduate
- GVH Aerospace helps Swiss Rotor Solutions
- DAC renews distribution with Esterline
- Genesys Aerosystems to certify popular HeliSAS Stability Augmentation System
- PDG partners with Woodgate Aviation to support 148th British Open Golf
- Building Work Begins on new Penzance Heliport
- Two Nepalese operators to add Airbus H125 in coming weeks
- Senior Director of Product Development named at EastWest Industries
- Airbus bids for Australian Army tender with H145M
- HSM-70 celebrates 10 years of excellence
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance to carry blood supplies
- L3 WESCAM Launches In-Flight Training Course for MX™-Series EO/IR Turrets
- Trakka Systems announces TLX Searchlight Order
- Canadian Coast Guard picks Dart wearplates for Bell 429 fleet
- AIM raises awareness for careers in Aviation Maintenance
- PAL-V unveils the distinctive features of the PAL-V Liberty Pioneer
- Caverton Helicopters picks Thales for AW139 simulator