The Hawaii Army National Guard today dedicated its two new UH-72A Lakota helicopters at the Guard’s Aviation Support Facility No. 2 in Hilo. The Lakota helicopters have replaced the older model OH-58 Kiowa helicopters. The Lakota is the Army’s most modern Light Utility Helicopter. Hawaii is one of the first states to receive the new rotary-wing aircraft manufactured by American Eurocopter. The helicopters will be maintained and flown by the soldiers of Detachment 2, Company B, 3/140 Aviation Regiment.
The mission of the detachment will be to provide aerial command and control, surveillance and reconnaissance, and search and rescue capabilities. It is equipped with video equipment that can see in infrared and its communications suite is compatible with civil authorities such as fire fighters and police. It is also designed to be able to medevac injured patients to a hospital.
The UH-72A provides the Hawaii National Guard with much greater capabilities to support civil authorities during times of natural disasters or to help county fire fighters and police locate missing people in remote locations. It has two engines and can fly from Hilo to Lihue without having to refuel. It can remain on station for up to three hours.
Pastor Charles Kama provided the blessing and benediction over the aircraft at today’s ceremony. The helicopters were transported to Hawaii from the manufacturing plant about two weeks ago via U.S. Air Force C-17 aircraft.
- Apollo Air Services to operate first AW109 Trekker in UK
- Bermuda Aircraft Registry Hits Historic Milestone
- Air Methods opens Mercy Air 66 base at Barstow
- Heli-One wins German AS332L1 and EC215 upgrade contract
- Volocopter and Amazon join UK CAA Innovation Sandbox project
- Lilium Reveals New Air Taxi Celebrates Maiden Flight
- CareFlite celebrates 40 Year Anniversary
- Vertical Flight Society Recognizes Sikorsky For Technological Innovations
- Nepalese operators facing pilot shortage
- Sierra Nevada Awarded $75M Contract for HH-60G DVES Installations
- Sloane extend Leonardo distributorship and sign for two more AW109s
- FlightSafety announces new President & CEO
- TracPlus and IQonboard collaborate
- Northern Escape Heli Skiing Announces investment
- MALS-39 Marine recognized for contributions to maintenance readiness
- 22 countries sign new European Defence Agency cross-border agreement
- STARS announces first all-female lineup for 2019 Rescue in the Rockies
- FAA Announces Safety Rating for Costa Rica
- Speedwings expands helicopter ops with BHS and DC Aviation
- Latest ACH160 order underlines market confidence in new model