AVX Aircraft Company today announced that it has been awarded a contract by the U.S. Army Contracting Command in New Jersey to study technology approaches to improve fuel efficiency in vertical lift aircraft.Â AVX is a member of the Vertical Lift Consortium, Inc. (â€œVLCâ€) and responded to the Army request for proposal in 2011, administered by the VLC, to reduce operational energy (fuel) consumption in rotorcraft using its patented AVX Technology, consisting of coaxial rotors and two rear ducted fans.
The VLC was formed at the request of the U.S. Defense Department by members of the vertical lift industry as part of a Department initiative to improve the long-term development of the military vertical lift aircraft and the vertical lift sector of industry.Â The VLC is comprised of manufacturers, academia, suppliers and non-traditional contractors involved in the vertical liftÂ industry with a common goal of providing for long-term advancements in the vertical lift sector.
The contract awarded to AVX was evaluated and selected in a competitive process by the U.S. Army Contracting Command in New Jersey with assistance from Service evaluators and OSD staff.Â The proposal from AVX, to be studied under the contract, is to reduce OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Armed Scout mission fuel usage by 30% while proving full-mission capability under hot/high 6000ft/95Â°F conditions.
Using AVXâ€™s Technology that was submitted in response to a prior U.S. Army Request for Information for an Armed Aerial Scout (AAS) aircraft as a starting point, AVX will conduct optimization studies and analyses to increase fuel economy through improvements in main rotor and ducted fan aerodynamic efficiency.Â The current AVX Technology already provides for a 20% fuel saving because of its inherent efficiencies.Â AVX Technology, including the significant increase in fuel efficiency, could be incorporated into an OH-58D upgrade in the 2015 time frame.
Commenting on the contract, Troy Gaffey, President and Chief Engineer of AVX Aircraft Company, said, â€œWe are extremely pleased and look forward to reporting the findings we will develop under this contract.Â AVX Technology is flexible and scalable so that we can apply the data obtained from this study to other larger mission aircraft as well as future aircraft.â€
Work on the contract will be performed in Fort Worth, Texas, headquarters of AVX Aircraft Company and will begin immediately.Â AVX expects to complete the program within seven months.
About AVX:Â Based in Fort Worth, Texas, AVX Aircraft Company is an engineering design, horizontally integrated manufacturer, and marketer of advanced helicopters incorporating the Companyâ€™s revolutionary and patented helicopter technology (â€œAVX Technologyâ„¢â€).Â As described on the Companyâ€™s website www.avxaircraft.com, AVX has developed and patented a unique helicopter configuration — coaxial rotors and dual ducted fans. The Companyâ€™s aerospace engineers and executives are highly experienced in managing all aspects of engineering design, marketing, sales, finance, program management and have other areas of expertise in the aerospace and rotorcraft industry.
- Nominations Open for the International Aerial Firefighting Awards 2019
- Heligo receives its first H145
- DRF releases 2018 operating statistics
- IBAC Welcomes New IS-BAO Operations Manager
- HAL takes leading role in organising Aero India 2019
- Russian Helicopters identified potential partners in localization of Ka-226T in India
- DRF Luftrettung – “Use of unmanned aerial vehicles in emergency medicine”
- Genesys HeliSAS stability augmentation system now certified for IFR
- Ace Aeronautics sells three UH-60s to Austrian military
- DRF Luftrettung and Lufthansa Aviation Training cooperate
- Russian Helicopters to take part in Aero India 2019
- Canada donates surplus Coast Guard Bo105 to BCIT
- Major PHI shareholder issues Open Letter to Management
- Jämtlandsflyg to seize operations
- Aeronautical Accessories to distribute GPMS HUMS for 407 i
- FAA Establishes Restrictions on Drone Operations over DOJ and DOD Facilities
- ESG offering Smart Mission Display for helicopters and mission aircraft
- Rosoboronexport Ready to Expand Cooperation
- Kopter Group will exhibit its SH09 at Heli-Expo 2019
- Devon Air Ambulance flies 27,000th mission