Telephonics Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Griffon Corporation (NYSE:GFF), announced today that the U.S. Navy conducted an exercise to demonstrate several Anti Surface Warfare concepts of operation using an MH-60S (Sierra) helicopter in conjunction with a Fire Scout Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. The exercise included the use of Telephonics’ multi-mode, maritime surveillance radar on the MH-60S.
The demonstration took place at the Chesapeake, MD Test Range, and it highlighted the ability of the radar to rapidly perform wide-area surveillance and to automatically detect and track surface contacts over wide areas. Provided with a surface surveillance picture, the crew of the MH-60S is able to classify targets of interest using the high resolution inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR) imagery from the radar and to direct the Fire Scout to specific contacts of interest for identification with its on-board electro-optic/infra-red (EO/IR) sensor.
These EO/IR images were also linked back to the Sierra via an L-3 Communication Systems West VORTEX data link providing them with valuable tactical situational awareness. Additionally, the MH-60S linked both radar information (Tracks, ISAR, and SAR (synthetic aperture radar) imagery) and EO/IR full motion video, again via the VORTEX data link, to the Patuxent River Surface/Aviation Interoperability Laboratory (SAIL).
The exercise also demonstrated the ability of the U.S. Navy with industry partners; Telephonics, Lockheed Martin, and L-3 Communications to go from concept to prototyping to demonstration of a seamless congruence of complex technologies in months not years. The U.S. Navy provided its Fire Scout asset, and Lockheed Martin coordinated the industry team to install equipment on board the MH-60S, including the Telephonics radar and the L-3 VORTEX data link installed on both the MH-60 Sierra and MQ-8B Fire Scout. All data coming from Fire Scout was transmitted and received via the L-3 data link.
Telephonics’ high-technology engineering and manufacturing capabilities provide integrated information, communication and sensor system solutions to military and commercial markets worldwide. Telephonics specializes in aircraft intercommunication systems, wireless communication systems, radars, identification friend or foe products, integrated security systems, air traffic management systems, aerospace electronics, and the performance of threat and radar system analyses.
About Griffon Corporation
Griffon Corporation (the “Company” or “Griffon”), headquartered in New York, N.Y., is a diversified management and holding company that conducts business through wholly-owned subsidiaries. The Company oversees the operations of its subsidiaries, allocates resources among them and manages their capital structures. The Company provides direction and assistance to its subsidiaries in connection with acquisition and growth opportunities as well as in connection with divestitures. Griffon also seeks out, evaluates and, when appropriate, will acquire additional businesses that offer potentially attractive returns on capital to further diversify itself.
About Lockheed Martin
Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that employs about 123,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The Corporation’s net sales for 2011 were $46.5 billion.
About L-3 Communications
L-3 Communication Systems-West is a leader in communications systems for high-performance intelligence collection, imagery processing and satellite communications for Department of Defense (DoD) and other government agencies. The company provides high-data rate, wideband, secure, real-time communications systems for surveillance, reconnaissance and other airborne intelligence collection systems. To learn more about L-3 Communications, please visit the company’s web site at www.L-3com.com/CSW.
- US Army selects GE’s T901 engine
- Triumph Awarded DLA Contract Extension
- Polish Police recieve two S70i Black Hawks
- Fort McCoy celebrates 40 years of the Black Hawk
- CPI Aero wins UH-60 Hover Infrared Suppression System order
- Sikorsky Awarded $29M Contract for UH-60 Support
- Sikorsky Awarded $61M Contract for UH-60 Repairs
- General Electric awarded $18M contract for UH-60 pipe exhausts
- US State Department to possibly sell UH-60 Black Hawks to Latvia
- Meggitt awarded five year fuel cell contract
- First Afghan UH-60 pilots graduate
- Honeywell Certified To Bring Wi-Fi To Helicopters
- Parker Hannifin awarded $96M contract for UH-60 Upgrades
- V-280 Valor undergoing ground trials at Amarillo
- Sikorsky marks 30,000 Black Hawk hours in Brazilian military operation
- Sikorsky awarded $10M contract for BE UH-60 Blackhawk weapon system parts
- 07-Aug-17 Sikorsky UH-60 Nuevo Leon, Mexico
- 10 refurbished Black Hawk to fight Australian fires
- United Technologies awarded $28M contract for procurement of 420 auxiliary power units of UH-60 Black Hawks
- DynCorp International awarded $8M contract for Maintenance on AH-64, UH-60, CH-47, and OH-58s