PPG Industriesâ€™ (NYSE:PPG) aerospace transparencies group has been selected by Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. to supply transparencies for the S-97 RAIDER(TM) helicopter, a next-generation rotorcraft being built for evaluation by the U.S. military.
â€œWe are excited to be part of the S-97 RAIDER helicopter team that is breaking new ground by tapping proven technologies to provide next-generation aircraft capabilities,â€ said Connie Poulsen, PPG global director, military aerospace transparencies. â€œAs a longtime supplier to Sikorsky, PPG is pleased to continue developing reliable transparency technologies, especially those that meet this helicopterâ€™s high-performance requirements.â€
PPG Aerospace is among more than 35 U.S. companies announced as suppliers by Sikorsky earlier this year. Sikorsky and its team members are self-funding the design and manufacture of two S-97 RAIDER prototype aircraft for first flight in 2014. The program is in the early fabrication stage.
PPG will develop and manufacture pilot and copilot coated windshields, as well as side cockpit, lower observation and fuselage windows for the RAIDER helicopter at its Sylmar, Calif., facility. The transparencies will be plastic for strength and light weight.
PPG has produced heated glass windshields for the BLACK HAWK helicopter and its variants since Sikorsky started the program in the 1970s, and also supplies transparencies for Sikorskyâ€™s S-92(R) helicopter, according to Poulsen.
A light tactical helicopter weighing 11,000 pounds, the single-engine S-97 RAIDER aircraft will feature Sikorskyâ€™s X2 rotorcraft design, which uses coaxial counter-rotating main rotors and a pusher propeller to provide improvements in maneuverability, hover efficiency, high/hot climate performance and speed. In September 2010, an X2 demonstrator aircraft achieved more than 250 knots flight speed, twice the average cruise speed of a conventional helicopter.
PPG Aerospace is the aerospace products and services business of PPG Industries. PPG Aerospace â€“ Transparencies is the worldâ€™s largest supplier of aircraft windshields, windows and canopies. PPG Aerospace â€“ PRC-DeSoto is the leading global producer and distributor of aerospace coatings, sealants, and packaging and application systems.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX), is based in Stratford, Conn., and is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., provides a broad range of high-technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries. For more information, visitÂ www.sikorsky.com.
PPG: BRINGING INNOVATION TO THE SURFACE.(TM)
PPG Industriesâ€™ vision is to continue to be the worldâ€™s leading coatings and specialty products company. Through leadership in innovation, sustainability and color, PPG helps customers in industrial, transportation, consumer products, and construction markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. Founded in 1883, PPG has global headquarters in Pittsburgh and operates in more than 60 countries around the world. Sales in 2011 were $14.9 billion. PPG shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol:PPG). For more information, visitÂ www.ppg.com.
- Triumph Geared Solutions Recognized by Sikorsky
- S-97 Raider Program Launches Ground Tests
- Sikorsky grounded S97 Raider after just two free flights
- S-97 Raider has TTTech’s TTEthernet® Deterministic Ethernet Solution on Board
- Sikorsky S-97 Raider flies for first time
- PPG produces transparencies for first S-97 Raider
- International Representatives View CH-53K Helicopter
- Sikorsky Begins Final Assembly of Second S-97 Raider
- Sikorsky Collaborates with LORD Corporation to Unveil S-97 Raider
- Sikorsky Unveils S-97 Raider
- Ducommun Recognized as Critical Partner on S-97 Raider program
- Sikorsky Aircraft Selects LORD Corporation’s UltraConductive™ Technology for the S-97 RAIDER™ Helicopter Program
- Sikorsky selects Lord Corp UltraConductive™ Technology for S-97 Raider
- S-97 Raider closer to first flight with power on for first time
- S-97 Raider enters final assembly
- Budget freezes US Army Armed Aerial Scout program
- Sikorsky launch microsite for S-97 Raider
- Lord Corp selected S-97 Raider program
- Rotating Composite Technologies to supply S-97 Raider pusher prop
- GE selected as engine supplier for S-97 Raider