Olympic fever is heightening with less than two months left until London 2012 officially gets underway.
Over the next few days people across the East and West Midlands will be turning out to watch the torch being carried through the streets on its way to London, and here at The Air Ambulance Service (TAAS) we’re as excited as anyone else about the arrival of the iconic Olympic flame.
Today (29th June), the torch will be carried through Ashbourne by Martin Handley who was nominated to carry the torch by a friend for his efforts in raising money for TAAS.
The final leg of the torch relay today will see the flame carried by TAAS Ambassador and double World Superbike Champion James Toseland, before he lights a cauldron at Darley Abbey Park after an evening of celebrations.
Another supporter of TAAS who will be carrying the torch is Tony Woodhouse. He’ll be carrying the torch through his home town of Rugby on Monday 2nd July. He has raised funds for TAAS after he was treated by Air Ambulance paramedics in 2010.
Tony says: “It is such an honour to carry the torch. I want the day to be a special one for my family, friends and colleagues who have supported me so much over the last two years. I also want to use the opportunity to raise awareness of the fantastic lifesaving work that The Air Ambulance Service does every day. Without TAAS I would not be here today and I will be forever grateful for this.”
Shops in locations where the torch is passing through will also be getting in the Olympic mood. Our Bakewell, Stratford, Rugby, Oadby and Wellingborough stores will be decking their windows out with an Olympic theme and volunteers will also be on hand to give out TAAS ponchos in case of bad weather.
- The Air Ambulance Service charity predicts £2.2M income shortfall but still has £12M in the bank
- Penzance Helicopters to launch with AW109 GrandNew due to Coronavirus
- Astronautics AFI 4700 RoadRunner EFI gains FAA STC for AW109E Power
- Bulgarian Border Guard upgrades AW109
- Intermountain Healthcare adds another AW109 GrandNew f
- Civil helicopter market presence grows in South Africa
- Brazil approves Astronautics EFI on AW109 and AW119
- Korean CAA approves AW109 simulator
- 28-Jun-19 N11NM Leonardo AW109S Brainerd Lakes, US-Minnesota (2F)
- SPECTO Aerospace appointed helicopter Blade Repair Centre
- FAA approves Astronautics EFI on Leonardo AW109 and AW119
- 10-Jun-19 N200BK Leonardo AW109E Manhattan, US-New York (1F)
- Apollo Air Services to operate first AW109 Trekker in UK
- Sloane extend Leonardo distributorship and sign for two more AW109s
- Dallas Airmotive Launches Engine Maintenance Program for AW109 Trekker
- 15-Dec-18 Leonardo AW109S Serra de Pias, Portugal (4F)
- Leonardo presents the AW109 Trekker
- ICON Aviation appointed an official distributor for the AW109 Trekker in Brazil
- Sloane Helicopters opens up Irish corporate market with AW109 GrandNew sale
- Sloane Helicopters wins Irish EMS contract with AW109