AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce that the second prototype of the AW169, a new generation 4.5 tonne light intermediate helicopter, successfully completed its maiden flight today at Cascina Costa in Italy. Meanwhile the first AW169 prototype arrived at Farnborough in the UK yesterday in preparation for its public premiere at the Farnborough International Airshow which is being held from 9th to 15th July.
The first two prototypes will be joined by another later this year and a fourth prototype in 2013. The AW169 programme is on schedule to achieve civil certification in 2014.
The AW169 is part of AgustaWestlandâ€™s family of new generation helicopters that includes the AW139 and AW189 models. These helicopters all possess the same high performance flight characteristics and safety features and share the same common cockpit layout, design philosophy and maintenance concepts. This approach will deliver real cost savings in areas such as training, maintenance and support for existing operators of the AW139 who add AW169 and/or AW189 helicopters to their fleets.
Launched at the Farnborough International Airshow in July 2010, the AW169 has rapidly found market success, logging orders for more than 50 units so far from customers worldwide. A versatile, new generation twin engine helicopter, the AW169 has been designed in response to the growing market demand for an aircraft that delivers high performance, meets all the latest safety standards and has multi-role capabilities. It is the first all new helicopter design in its class in decades and the only one that will meet all the latest safety requirements.
The AW169 incorporates several new technology features to provide the highest levels of safety and operational benefits for its customers. New generation technologies are incorporated in the rotor system, engines, avionics, transmission and electric power generation and distribution systems. The AW169 is powered by two 1,000 shp class PW210A turboshaft engines which will give the aircraft Vertical Cat. A / Class 1 capability up to ISA+20 at sea level and maximum gross weight. Latest technologies include an APU mode capability and touch screen cockpit devices. The AW169 is set to be the most advanced and cost effective helicopter in its class for EMS, SAR, law enforcement, passenger and offshore transport and utility missions.
- Sloane extend Leonardo distributorship and sign for two more AW109s
- Weststar AW139 and AW169 orders
- Leonardo to expand US training with AW169 and AW609 simulators
- SAFE delivers first AW169 maintenance stands in US
- Isles of Scilly spoiler operation runs out of steam
- Falcon Aviation starts AW169 helicopter transport operations in Kuwait
- WW2 Spitfire has near miss with EMS AW169
- Falcon Aviation Services starts AW169 contract in Kuwait
- Mitsui Bussan signs four-helicopter contract
- Aerolite Receives FAA STC for AW169 Air Medical Interior
- Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder buys an AW169
- 27-Oct-18 G-VSKP Leonardo AW169 Leicester, UK (5F)
- Specialist Aviation Services ranked ‘Excellent’
- Heli-One Announces AW169 EMS Modification Case Study
- London Oxford Airport welcomes newest tenant
- EASA approves United Rotorcraft EMS interior STC for AW139 and AW169
- Waypoint Enters Taiwanese Market
- Magpas Air Ambulance selects AW169 to replace MD Explorer
- LCI Delivers 3rd EMS AW169 to Elitaliana
- Donaldson to develop AW169 IBF for Leonardo