In October of last year, the Baltimore Police Department ordered four EC120Â® helicopters as part of a fleet renewal program for its current fleet of four EC120s that it has been operating since 2000. The delivery of two of the departmentâ€™s new EC120s will take place in July, with the remaining two delivered in August.
â€œOur EC120s have been such reliable aircraft that we are really looking forward to getting these new aircraft and putting them into service,â€ said Lieutenant Don Bauer, Aviation Commander for the Baltimore Police Department. â€œWith the continued support of American Eurocopter, we fully expect these aircraft to carry on the reputation set by our current fleet.â€
The Baltimore Police Department utilizes its fleet of EC120s for law enforcement missions that include patrol and support, as well as homeland security missions. The department had the first EC120 in the world to reach 10,000 flight hours, and a second BPD aircraft recently reached that milestone. The purchase of four new EC120s showcases the appeal and effectiveness of the EC120 for airborne law enforcement operators.
â€œThe EC120 offers a high-technology, low-cost solution, and it is the best-selling, light single-engine turbine helicopter in the law enforcement market for the past 10 years,â€ stated Ed Van Winkle, American Eurocopterâ€™s Sales Manager for Airborne Law Enforcement. â€œIt also offers the most modern design and advanced technology of any other aircraft in its class, featuring the Vehicle and Engine Multifunction Display (VEMD) and FenestronÂ® anti-torque system.â€
Baltimore PDâ€™s EC120s were completed by American Eurocopter and feature advanced avionics and mission equipment, including thermal imager, searchlight, moving map, and video downlink systems. These aircraft are unique in that they have been completed with both front seat and rear seat consoles for Tactical Flight Officers, which were custom-designed by American Eurocopter.
The EC120 is known for its high maneuverability, state-of-the-art ergonomic cockpit, and low noise signature. It is powered by a fuel-efficient Turbomeca ARRIUS 2F engine and its wide unobstructed cabin, along with its excellent visibility, makes the EC120 an ideal platform for law enforcement operations.
For more information on the EC120, or any other helicopter available from American Eurocopter, stop by ALEA booth #112.
About American Eurocopter
American Eurocopter is the U.S. affiliate of Eurocopter, the largest helicopter manufacturer in the world, and a subsidiary of EADS North America Holdings, the North American operations of EADS, the second largest aerospace and defense company in the world. American Eurocopter is a helicopter manufacturer and markets, sells and supports the broadest range of civil and parapublic helicopters offered by any manufacturer. The product line represents the most cost-effective, technologically-advanced helicopters, ranging from light single to heavy twin, serving all markets and missions. Company headquarters and main facility are in Grand Prairie, TX, with a large manufacturing and production facility in Columbus, MS.
- 12-Sep-20 N453F Airbus H120 Baltimore, US-Maryland
- 11-Aug-20 N45?F Airbus H120 Baltimore, US-Maryland
- 22-Nov-18 N124ML Airbus H120 La Romana, Dominican Republic (5F)
- Albuquerque Police look to replace EC120
- Heli-Alps Purchases new Bell 505
- 21-Mar-18 VH-WII Airbus EC120 Hardy Reef, Australia (2F)
- Rotortrade reports 2017 results
- San Jose City Council approves Airbus H125 to replace H120
- HeliHub prediction comes true – Robinson R66 kills off Airbus H120
- Baltimore Mayor proposes cutting one of four Police EC120s
- Aeropartner took delivery of the first multi-purpose EC-120B
- GTA signs MoU to provide maintenance for HFA helicopters
- Agreement Between Helang Flying Academy & Rotortrade Services
- Thales delivers a flight and navigation training simulator to the Royal Malaysian Air Force
- Swedish Government resumes state-funded pilot training
- Vector Aerospace expands FAA-approved ADS-B STC upgrade
- New Additions to Superior Air Fleet
- JSSI Enrolls HeliAir Sweden Fleet
- HeliAir Sweden Replaces MD500s with EC120B
- New Thermal Imaging Camera funded by Winnipeg Police