The EC135Â® has proven to be one of the most popular light twin-engine helicopters in the world, and it is known across the globe for its reliability. The global EC135 fleet has accumulated more than 2,400,000 flight hours. The aircraftâ€™s unparalleled combination of performance, safety, comfort and versatility make it appealing to a variety of missions and markets, including airborne law enforcement.
â€œFor law enforcement agencies looking for multi-mission performance with twin-engine reliability, the EC135 is the aircraft of choice,â€ said Ed Van Winkle, American Eurocopterâ€™s Sales Manager for Airborne Law Enforcement. â€œThe EC135 equips our ALE customers with a high-performance aircraft with a spacious cabin allowing for multiple configurations, and the added safety benefits of the FenestronÂ® tail rotor.â€
Globally there are over 180 EC135s performing law enforcement missions. In the U.S., the EC135 is already utilized by law enforcement agencies such as the Broward County Sheriffâ€™s Office and the Massachusetts State Police.
The Broward County Sheriffâ€™s Office (BCSO) was the first law enforcement agency in the United States to operate the EC135. The BCSO utilizes the aircraftâ€™s power and performance for both police patrol and air medical missions. â€œThe EC135 is perfect for our missions. It provides us with the speed and the adaptive capabilities we need for our missions, plus it is cost-effective to operate,â€ said Sgt. Dale Owens, who recently retired from the BCSO aviation unit. â€œFor our missions, I donâ€™t think that there is another aircraft on the market that meets the economy of the EC135.â€
The EC135 offers a superior useful load compared to its larger, less fuel-efficient competitors and also has best-in-class acquisition and direct operating costs. Its unobstructed cabin, large rear clamshell doors and flat floor allow for convenience and easy reconfiguration for multiple missions.
Massachusetts State Police (MSP) also selected the EC135 to upgrade its fleet of four AS355Â® Twin StarsÂ®. Twin-engine reliability and performance was a major factor in the decision for the EC135, but the aircraftâ€™s cabin size was also a benefit. â€œOur helicopters perform a wide variety
of missions throughout the state so we need a true utility helicopter,â€ explained Rob Smith, unit commander for the Massachusetts State Police. â€œSince our missions can be so diverse, the flexibility of the EC135 allows us to accomplish these missions.â€ MSP utilizes its EC135 in its mission to support state, local and federal agencies throughout the state with searches, transportation, fire support, aerial photography, and airborne command and control. MSP just received its second EC135, which was completed by Metro Aviation.
The EC135â€™s high endurance, extended range and outstanding maneuverability enable it to perform a full range of mission requirements, while carrying more payload over longer distances than any twin-engine aircraft in its class. For more information on the EC135, or any other helicopter available from American Eurocopter, stop by ALEA booth #112.
About American Eurocopter
American Eurocopter is the U.S. affiliate of Eurocopter, the largest helicopter manufacturer in the world, and a subsidiary of EADS North America Holdings, the North American operations of EADS, the second largest aerospace and defense company in the world. American Eurocopter is a helicopter manufacturer and markets, sells and supports the broadest range of civil and parapublic helicopters offered by any manufacturer. The product line represents the most cost-effective, technologically-advanced helicopters, ranging from light single to heavy twin, serving all markets and missions. Company headquarters and main facility are in Grand Prairie, TX, with a large manufacturing and production facility in Columbus, MS.
- ESG enables Internet in helicopters
- Compass and ALG ship EC135 from UK to US for Air Methods
- Netherlands – HeliCentre buys Entrol EC135 simulator
- Devon Air Ambulance resumes ops – EC135s fitted with separation screens
- UT Health East Texas welcomes third rebranded EC135
- EC135 Reduced mandatory maintenance and flight checks
- Devon Air Ambulance adds two Critical Care Cars
- Gama Aviation releases Flight Data Monitoring mod for Airbus H135 and H145
- Devon Air Ambulance reports 2019 statistics
- Royal Thai Air Force orders six Airbus H135 military trainers
- Polish Border Guard adds Airbus H135
- Gozo EMS operation upgrading to EC135
- DRF Luftrettung expands its H145 and H135 fleet
- NASA orders three Airbus H135s
- EASA approves STC for Trakka TLX searchlight on EC135
- Cayman Police replace damaged EC135 wtih second H145
- 723 Squadron helicopters achieve 10,000 flying hours
- Airbus launches retrofit solution for EC135 Electrical Master Boxes
- Metro first to STC H135 T3H Air Medical Interior
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU