Sikorsky Aircraft, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX), and Terma A/S, a leading defense, aerospace and security company in Denmark, have started negotiations to determine how Termaâ€™s aircraft defense systems might be integrated onto Sikorskyâ€™s S-70i â„¢ BLACK HAWK, S-92Â® and S-76Â® helicopters. The scope of work is contingent on the Danish governmentâ€™s decision to procure Sikorsky MH-60R SEAHAWKÂ® helicopters via the U.S. Governmentâ€™s Foreign Military Sales program.
â€œPreliminary negotiations with Sikorsky Aircraft are very positiveâ€ says JÃ¸rn Henrik Levy Rasmussen, Vice President, Terma Global. â€œSikorsky Aircraftâ€™s platforms combined with Termaâ€™s mission-critical solutions make a perfect fit.â€
Sikorsky and Terma have signed two memoranda of understanding in the past two years to explore ways the two companies can collaborate to fulfill offset obligations associated with the Danish Maritime Helicopter Program. The Danish Government is considering the U.S. Navyâ€™s MH-60R helicopter as one of two rotary wing platforms remaining in the competition. A selection is expected later this year. The Royal Danish Navy will use the aircraft to perform homeland defense operations and improve the countryâ€™s international commitments for transport, surveillance, and search and rescue.
â€œTerma has a tremendous track record developing and integrating electronic warfare and countermeasures systems that protect helicopters from guided missile threats,â€ said Robert Kokorda, Sikorskyâ€™s Sales and Marketing Vice President. â€œOur discussions center around offering Termaâ€™s ALQ-213 controller and countermeasures capability as an option for helicopters we sell internationally, specifically the S-70i utility helicopter we make in Poland for militaries around the world, and the commercial S-92 and S-76 helicopters used for VVIP transport.
Terma offers customer-tailored electronic warfare solutions centered around the ALQ-213 controller, which controls and integrates any combination of sensors and countermeasures systems on any type of aircraft.
The MH-60R airframe is designed and built by Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, with mission systems integration by Lockheed Martin. To date, the two companies have delivered 140 of 300 MH-60R aircraft to the U.S. Navy.
Sikorsky Aircraft, is a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of military and commercial helicopters. Terma A/S, a leading defense, aerospace and security company in Denmark, has more than 30 yearsâ€™ experience as manufacturer and integrator of electronic warfare and survivability equipment for fixed and rotary wing aircraft.
Headquartered in Aarhus, Denmark, Terma provides products and systems for a number of defense and non-defense applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, electronic warfare systems, space technology, and aeronautic structures for high-performance military aircraft. Terma maintains international subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, Germany, Singapore and the wholly owned U.S. subsidiary Terma North America Inc. headquartered in Arlington, VA and with U.S. offices in Warner Robins, GA, Ft. Worth TX, Huntsville, AL, and Norfolk, VA.
- NTSB calls for mandatory Flight Data Recorders in all turbine helicopters
- Era Group Announces Board Approval of Reverse Stock Split
- Bristow Group Announces Stock Repurchases
- Cornwall Air Ambulance suffers £1.5M income shortfall
- NBAA Requests Extension for GA Pilot Medicals
- Police Aviation News – June 2020 Edition
- First Ukraine Police Airbus H145 commences flight test phase
- Polish Police retire Kania helicopter to museum
- Bell Offers Comprehensive Program for new Commercial Aircraft Customers
- Universal Helicopters closes its doors after almost 60 years of operations
- Gama Aviation starts Scottish EMS operations after taking contract back from Babcock
- Heli Hero names added to new helicopter
- Q1 production analysis – Airbus rises while every other OEM falls
- Nigerian Navy receives AW139 helicopter
- Penn College aviation students receive industry scholarships
- EHang wins approval for autonomous air logistics operations
- Genesys flight testing their avionics suite on Black Hawks
- Pulselite® Bird Strike Prevention System STC Expanded to Include Bell 429 and Bell 505
- EBAA to provide members with live aviation security alerts from Osprey
- COVID-19 – AW139 supporting COVID-19 operations in Canada