With an expanded organ transplant program and an increase in patients from outside Southeast Michigan, Beaumont Health System is taking to the skies with a new air medical transportation service, Beaumont One. The twin-engine EC135helicopter will transport patients within Michigan and northern Ohio. The service was launched Aug. 13.
Beaumont is contracting with PHI Air Medical to offer the new air medical service, which will transport patients between hospitals and from accident scenes. The Beaumont One helicopter will be based at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak.
â€œBeaumont One will give residents, referring physicians and law enforcement agencies quicker access to complex medical care and the only Level I Trauma Center in Oakland and Macomb counties,â€ explains Patrick Pettengill, M.D., emergency medicine specialist and Beaumont One, medical director. â€œWhen time is critical, our flight crews can perform transports without concerns about traffic conditions on the ground.â€
A study published in the April 18 Journal of the American Medical Association compared trauma survival rates in patients transported to hospitals by helicopter and ground services. Patients with major trauma flown by helicopter to Level I or II Trauma Centers had a higher rate of survival: 16 percent higher for Level I centers and 15 percent higher for Level II centers.
Phoenix-based PHI Air Medical, L.L.C., is the leading air ambulance provider in the U.S. PHI is providing the helicopter and the 14-member Beaumont One flight team, including pilots, paramedics, nurses and mechanics. When not on the pad at Beaumont, Royal Oak or making flights, the helicopter will be housed at Oakland/Troy Airport.
â€œPHI has a very focused, personal approach and we are proud of the important work of our customers,â€ explains Sean Oâ€™Neal, regional director, PHI Air Medical. â€œWe have invested greatly to ensure that our operations are comprised of the finest professionals, processes, technology and aircraft in the industry. Safety is our No.1 priority. Our total company safety record far exceeds the national average. In fact, we were the first company to receive the Vision Zero Aviation Safety Award. The pilots and maintenance technicians assigned to air medical duty are among the most experienced, dedicated and best trained in the world.â€
Beaumont One is an American Eurocopter, model EC135 featuring:
- cruising speed – 140 miles per hour
- range – 350 miles
- cabin capacity â€“ 6 (including pilot)
- Â noise reduction â€“ one of the quietest helicopters in its class
- rear clamshell doors – patient loading
- Â enclosed tail rotor
While Beaumont has collaborated with area air medical transportation services in the past, Beaumont One will be the organizationâ€™s first dedicated, full-time flight service based at Beaumont. Along with hospital transfers, the service will take on a new role in assisting law enforcement agencies at accident scenes providing trauma transport.
- 15-Nov-20 Airbus EC135 Williamport, US-Pennsylvania
- ESG enables Internet in helicopters
- Compass and ALG ship EC135 from UK to US for Air Methods
- Netherlands – HeliCentre buys Entrol EC135 simulator
- Devon Air Ambulance resumes ops – EC135s fitted with separation screens
- UT Health East Texas welcomes third rebranded EC135
- EC135 Reduced mandatory maintenance and flight checks
- Devon Air Ambulance adds two Critical Care Cars
- Gama Aviation releases Flight Data Monitoring mod for Airbus H135 and H145
- Devon Air Ambulance reports 2019 statistics
- Royal Thai Air Force orders six Airbus H135 military trainers
- Polish Border Guard adds Airbus H135
- Gozo EMS operation upgrading to EC135
- DRF Luftrettung expands its H145 and H135 fleet
- NASA orders three Airbus H135s
- EASA approves STC for Trakka TLX searchlight on EC135
- Cayman Police replace damaged EC135 wtih second H145
- 723 Squadron helicopters achieve 10,000 flying hours
- Airbus launches retrofit solution for EC135 Electrical Master Boxes
- Metro first to STC H135 T3H Air Medical Interior