Using gasoline as an alternativeÂ helicopter fuelÂ is not only better for the environment, but also more cost efficient, Fuller says.
In Europe, JTI’s automotive gasoline supplemental type certificates (STCs) are sold by company representative Joop van Weele of Holland. (Seehttp://www.vliegwerkholland.nl/autofuel.htmlÂ for info.)
LeadedÂ helicopter fuelÂ is being phased out worldwide due to environmental concerns. JTI Air Holdings has led the search for sustainableÂ helicopter fuel. In the United States, automotive gasoline that meets ASTM specification D8414 has been approved for helicopter use for several years under supplemental type certificates that were jointly developed by Fuller and U.S.-based Peterson Aviation.
In Europe, aircraft operators are feeling the pressure of leaded fuel being discontinued. Operators of the popular Robinson R22 and R44 piston-engine powered helicopters, many of whom fly in remote areas, are scrambling to find alternative helicopter fuels.
Savings when flying with auto gas are expected to be between 15 to 25 US dollars per hour when compared to either 100LL aviation fuel or its replacement, 91UL. Similar operations for the R22 helicopter have been â€œgrandfatheredâ€ under British CAA Airworthiness Approval Note No. 27743, Issue 2.
FAA test results show the R44 used approximately 3/4 gallon less fuel per hour, and hovered on about 1â€ less manifold pressure than when operated on 100LL aviation gas.
EASA, in accordance with the recently signed EU-USA Bilateral Airworthiness Safety Agreement, issued STC No. 10041028 to Fuller on Aug. 16. The certificate permits the operation of European R44 helicopters using 91-octane automotive gasolines.
For more information on alternative aircraft fuel, contact JTIâ€™s EU representative: Joop van Weele, autofuel(at)vliegwerkholland(dot)nl. Phone: +31 (0)113 613 293
JTI Air Holdings LLC is a New Hampshire company dedicated to responsible use of energy resources and sustainable aviation practices.
JTI Air Holdings contact
Office: 89 Perimeter Rd., Nashua NH 03068
Phone: +1 603 821-0609
Cell: 508 344 3885
- 13-Dec-19 N440AH Robinson R44 San Antonio, US-Texas
- AirX starts new link between Tokyo Heliport and Tokyo Narita Airport
- 25-Oct-19 ZT-RAL Robinson R44 Sinoville, South Africa
- 23-Oct-19 N225JM Robinson R44 Las Vegas, US-Nevada (2F)
- 21-Oct-19 UR-KTB Robinson R44 Tarasenkove, Ukraine (1F)
- Philippine National Police Chooses R44s for Training
- 15-Jul-19 N144TG Robinson R44 II Hayward, US-California (1F)
- 17-Jun-19 N7187D Robinson R44 Catalina Island, US-California (1F)
- 02-Jun-19 N41351 Robinson R44 II near Mulberry Mountain, US-Arkansas (3F)
- 17-May-19 N744TW Robinson R44 II Alpine, US-Utah (2F)
- Robinson Introduces a New Flight Training Guide
- Robinson Delivers Two More Cadets
- Rotorcorp wins 2019 State and Regional Export Award
- 29-Apr-19 N808NV Robinson R44 Kawainui, US-Hawaii (3F)
- Electric helicopter creators to receive award
- HQ Aviation gains approval as RR300 Authorized Service Center
- Sloane Helicopters celebrates its 500th new Robinson Helicopter
- 26-Feb-19 G-HWKS Robinson R44 Sketrick Island, UK
- 17-Feb-19 LN-ORH Robinson R44 Røldal, Norway (2F)
- 30-Jan-19 N484AB Robinson R44 Uvalde, US-Texas