With Sikorsky putting lots of research money into the X2 and it’s follow-up S-97 Raider, and Eurocopter widely broadcasting its X3 concept, it was only a matter of time before China followed suit.
A concept model has been shown for the first time at the Zhuhai Air Show, which opened this morning. The fuselage of this coaxial helicopter bears a strong resemblance to Sikorsky’s X2 and S-97, while the forward thrust propellors on stub wings are closer to the Eurocopter X3.
Shown by Avicopter under the “Avant Courier” name, it is fast becoming clear that China has no intention of following in the aerospace race, and their concept-to-reality time is often a lot shorter than its competitors in the US and Europe. The only point that is currently questioning their development lead is that their new models and concepts still lean a lot on other manufacturers initial ideas. They say “imitation is the highest form of flattery”, but it cannot be long now before China are on level-pegging with the established manufacturers, and soon breaking out into the lead.
Harry Shu – HeliHub.com Beijing correspondent
- QinetiQ contract with Castle Air to operate new Airbus H145
- Bell opens facility in Wichita, Kansas
- First flight for Russia’s Ka-52M
- DRF Luftrettung retains Christoph 80 contract from April 2021
- Coptersafety appoints new AW139 Type Lead Instructor
- Robinson Delivers R66 Serial Number 1000
- Ryan Aerospace wins International Military Training and Simulation award
- Bell Unveils New Manufacturing Technology Center
- Helicentre Aviation Extends 2020 Scholarships Deadline
- AIRO Group buys Aspen Avionics
- New Weather Layers in Profile in ForeFlight’s Latest Release
- Final five Mi-8MTV-5-1 delivered to Russian military ahead of schedule
- Helicopter Online Ground School launches two new courses
- HAI launches annual Salute to Excellence Awards
- Belgium cuts military helicopter flying in half
- Prestwick SAR base passes 1,500 taskings milestone
- Great Western Air Ambulance encourages use of What3Words
- Iran unveils new laser-guided missiles for helicopter fleet
- Rostec began flight tests of the newest helicopter for special forces Mi-8AMTSh-VN
- EDA sets up Multinational Helicopter Training Centre for Sintra