Newcastle Helicopters has gained government approval to operate a Floating Heliport in Sydney Harbour from early next month.
Answering the growing need for helicopter based services in the Sydney CBD area, Newcastle Helicopters, have developed the concept of a powered flat top vessel based on central Sydney Harbour, complete with two helipad sites and deck space to manage passenger operations.
Helicopter services with such close proximity to the Sydney CBD area have not been available since the 1980s, when the Darling Harbour Heliport was closed due to redevelopment of the site.
A central heliport is essential for Sydney to be regarded as a truly international city, such as New York or London, as it provides means to showcase the world-renowned Harbour and CBD as a hub for tourism and business.
The flexibility of a powered, movable Heliport allows it to be centrally located, utilising the amenity of the Harbour without the need for a fixed, land-based structure.
Passengers will access the Floating Heliport by existing Harbour water taxi services and other commercial operators.
- HTM Helicopter Travel Munich appoints new Managing Director
- US approves sale of eight MV-22s Ospreys to Indonesia
- Airbus facilitates first e-delivery in Asia Pacific
- SPAES modifies AS350 external mirror mounting
- Schiebel Camcopter to fly Coast Guard ops in Finland, Sweden and Estonia
- CHC and UniFly extend Hornsea wind farm support contract
- Alouette III helicopter celebrates 57 years with Portuguese Air Force
- SUU and Chuck Aaron Partner in Helicopter Upset Training
- First flights for new Babcock oil and gas contract
- NHV awarded offshore contract by Shell UK and NAM
- SAFE wins MH-65 maintenance platform contract at UCSG Elizabeth City
- WAI 2021 Scholarship Applications are now open
- Airbus H160 receives EASA approval
- HeliValue$ leads the way with remote helicopter appraisals
- Horizon International Flight Academy Logs More Than 1,000 Flight Hours in its Bell 505 Fleet
- Police Aviation News – July 2020 Edition
- Sikorsky awarded $470M contract for six VH-92 helicopters
- Sikorsky awarded $12M contract modification for CH-53K work
- PAS MRO awarded $9M contract to overhaul UH-60 tip caps
- Rolls-Royce awarded $62M for AE1107C engines for US Navy V-22