American Eurocopter announced today that is has issued a Supplementary Type Certificate (STC) with concurrence from the FAA for the installation of the Trakkabeam A800 Searchlight System on the AS350 B3 helicopter. The A800 searchlight, as installed, provides a compact and modern solution for law enforcement and other operators.
Advantages of the Trakkabeam A800 searchlight include its modern design, light weight and an intense Xenon lamp which provides uniform intensity across the entire illuminated area. The A800 installation includes slaving capability to the camera system of the operator’s choice. The searchlight system utilizes a quick-change method of installation for the external provisions, allowing the light and its supporting structure to be removed or installed in a matter of minutes. A console mounted control and cyclic-mounted switches allow full manipulation of the searchlight from either the pilot or copilot’s station.
“The certification of the Trakkabeam A800 searchlight system gives our AS350 B3 operators an additional tool to help them catch the bad guys,” said Ed Van Winkle, American Eurocopter’s Sales Manager for Airborne Law Enforcement. “The ability for our operators to deploy a new piece of technology further demonstrates American Eurocopter’s dedication to the Law Enforcement community.”
The Phoenix Police Department provided their newest AS350 B3 for use in the certification project, and their Air Support Unit is already using the A800 searchlight in daily patrol operations in support of their officers on the ground.
“Assisting with the Trakkabeam STC was an exciting project for the Phoenix Police Department,” said Lt. Pat Tortorici, Air Support Unit Commander. “Testing and implementing a new searchlight technology not only benefits our agency, but the Airborne Law Enforcement community as a whole.”
American Eurocopter will be using the Trakkabeam A800 STC to support existing helicopter contracts, and it will also be available for installation on new aircraft and as a kit for retrofit.
About American Eurocopter
American Eurocopter is the U.S. affiliate of Eurocopter, the largest helicopter manufacturer in the world, and a subsidiary of EADS North America Holdings, the North American operations of EADS, the second largest aerospace and defense company in the world. American Eurocopter is a helicopter manufacturer and markets, sells and supports the broadest range of civil and parapublic helicopters offered by any manufacturer. The product line represents the most cost-effective, technologically-advanced helicopters, ranging from light single to heavy twin, serving all markets and missions. Company headquarters and main facility are in Grand Prairie, TX, with a large manufacturing and production facility in Columbus, MS.
- 12-Apr-20 N160CC Airbus H125 Tampa, US-Florida
- FAA approves Garmin GFC600H Helicopter Flight Control System in AS350
- Airbus adds more power and enhanced aerial work capabilities for the H125
- Air Zermatt picks VR technology H125 training solution
- StandardAero and Robertson Announce First Canadian Customer for AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Ukraine Border Guards receive first two Airbus H125s
- 26-Dec-19 N985SA Airbus AS350B2 Kauai, US-Hawaii (7F)
- StandardAero and Thales Team on AS350 autopilot
- 09-Dec-19 ZK-HPB Airbus AS350B2 White Island, New Zealand
- AS350 heating and demisting system improvement
- All change at Soloy with STCs sold and now new owners too
- Airbus H125 helicopters enter Austrian Ministry of Interior service
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- 23-Sep-19 VT-UTC Airbus H125 Kedarnath, India
- LA County Sheriff buys a AS350 crash-resistant fuel tank
- Oklahoma City Police buy two AS350 crash-resistant fuel tanks
- Oceania Aviation Prepare Right Hand H125/AS350 Cargo Pod
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU
- 27-Mar-19 N818MC Airbus AS350B3 Conroe, US-Texas (1F)
- STC Count for AEM’s LSS880 Loudspeaker System Continues to Increase