AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce that Azerbaijan Airlines has ordered ten AgustaWestland helicopters comprising a contract for eight AW139 intermediate twins and a preliminary sales contract for two AW189 medium twins. Six helicopters, four AW139s and the two AW189s, will be used for offshore transport operations; two AW139s for emergency medical services, one AW139 for search and rescue and one AW139 for VIP transport. Deliveries are expected to start in the second half of 2013 and the contract is valued at approximately €115 million.
This order marks the entrance of AgustaWestland into Azerbaijan’s helicopter market. The contracts also add another leading operator to the list of customers which have selected models from the AgustaWestland Family of new generation helicopters, comprising the AW139, AW169 and AW189. Azerbaijan Airlines will benefit from the latest technology and safety standards, as well as the common approach to maintenance and training adopted for the AW139 and AW189 which will maximise effectiveness and significantly reduce overall operating costs.
Emilio Dalmasso, Senior Vice President Commercial Business Unit, AgustaWestland said “We are proud that Azerbaijan Airlines has chosen our products to meet its future rotorcraft requirements. Selecting the best selling AW139 and the new AW189 to cover such a wide range of missions once more testifies large fleet operators’ confidence in the unprecedented combination of capabilities, versatility, high performance and low overall costs offered by our Family of new generation helicopters. With this success in Azerbaijan we believe we can secure further opportunities across the region for our products.”
State-of-the-art technology, outstanding performance, low operating costs and the only helicopter in its class to meet the latest safety standards, have made the AW139 the helicopter of choice in the intermediate twin market. Nearly 670 AW139s have been sold in almost 60 countries to more than 180 customers for many roles including VIP/corporate transport, passenger transport, law enforcement, fire fighting, offshore transport, search and rescue, emergency medical service, disaster relief and maritime security.
The AW189 was launched in June 2011 in response to the growing market demand for a versatile, affordable, multirole helicopter in the 8-tonne class. With five prototypes now in flight totalling over 800 hours and contracts signed for more than 60 units including firm orders and options, the AW189 programme is set to achieve certification in the second half of 2013. The twin engine AW189 helicopter is optimised for the long range offshore transport and SAR missions as well as parapublic and VIP transport roles. The spacious cabin is configured with 16 seats as standard with the option for a high density 18 seat layout or a long range 12 seat configuration.
Azerbaijan Airlines (AZAL, Azərbaycan Hava Yolları in Azeri), headquartered in Baku, is part of the Azerbaijan Hava Yollari Closed Joint Stock Company, the biggest Azerbaijani airline and national flag carrier. Azerbaijan Hava Yollari operates passenger flights to countries in Europe, the CIS, Middle East and Asia. The airline plans to open regular flights to destinations in North America and South-East Asia in 2014. Azerbaijan Airlines also offers rotorcraft services including EMS, SAR, offshore transport and VIP transport.
- Helity appointed AW139 Maintenance Centre by Leonardo
- Leonardo delivers its 1,000th AW139 helicopter
- Russian operator Skypro adds fourth AW139
- Omni reaches over 100,000 hours flown in AW139 aircraft
- Era sets major AW139 operational milestone
- SPECTO Aerospace appointed helicopter Blade Repair Centre
- Wiking signs for two AW139s
- Leonardo working with Suzuyo on first AW139 Level D Full Flight Simulator in Japan
- Italian National Fire Corps orders five more AW139s
- Leonardo and the Italian National Fire Corps announce a major step
- P&WC adds Designated Maintenance Facility in China for AW139 operators
- Weststar AW139 and AW169 orders
- Coptersafety appoints a new full-time flight instructor
- Caverton Helicopters picks Thales for AW139 simulator
- DART High Capacity Cargo Nets fit the bill for Aeróleo Táxi Aéreo
- Toll Helicopters and Seeing Machines have joined forces
- CHC Australia completes roll out of Leonardo AW139
- DART launches its new AW139 Skylight Window
- LCI Grows Australia-Based helicopter fleet
- Gulf Helicopters has selected SKYTRAC to Equip Fleet