Sikorsky have been granted patent number 8,353,673 for “A main rotor blade assembly includes a main spar with an integral cuff. The main spar is directly to a rotor hub assembly through the integral cuff”. Two particular sections of interest from the official US Patent & Trademark Office website posting are listed below
Background of the Invention
The present invention relates to a rotary wing aircraft main rotor blade, and more particularly to a main rotor blade with a cuff integral with the spar.
Rotary-wing aircraft rotor blades often include a composite or metallic main rotor spar of a constant chord and constant wall thickness. To attach the rotor spar to a hub assembly, a separate root end cuff is attached to an inboard section of the main rotor spar. The cuff is conventionally manufactured of a titanium forging or a composite root laminate sized to match an outer mold line of the main rotor spar. The root end cuff is attached to the main rotor spar through a multiple fastener configuration, each fastener of which must be torqued to a required standard.
Although effective, the separate root end cuff assembly and related hub componentry may result in a weight and life cycle penalty as the multiple of components are duplicated on each rotor blade assembly.
Summary of the Invention
A main rotor blade assembly according to an exemplary aspect of the present invention includes: a main spar formed with an integral cuff.
A rotary wing aircraft according to an exemplary aspect of the present invention includes: a rotor hub assembly; a main spar which comprises a root section and an main section, the root section forms an integral cuff, the integral cuff having a first hub mount aperture and a second hub mount aperture; a first pin which passes through the first aperture to mount the main spar to the rotor hub assembly; and a second pin which passes through the second aperture to mount the main spar to the rotor hub assembly.
A method of mounting a main rotor blade assembly according to an exemplary aspect of the present invention includes: attaching an integral cuff directly to a rotor hub assembly.
- First AW189 launched in Korea
- CAMP Systems and Hillsboro Establish Partnership
- Astronautics RoadRunner™ brings enhanced capabilities to Firehawk
- DART High Capacity Cargo Nets fit the bill for Aeróleo Táxi Aéreo
- AMS and AUTOFLUG sign cooperation agreement
- FreeFlight Systems announces new radar altimeter display for operators
- Falcon Aviation to showcase at first Saudi International Airshow
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Unveils New Website & Video Series
- PIF Announces Launch of The Helicopter Company
- NHV Group appoints new CEO
- PHI enters Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- UK AAIB Bulletin – March 2019
- Smart heli-hook helps raise angel to realm of glory
- Astronautics introduces IBEX™ family
- Sterling Launches New Version of QuickOnline Mobile App
- IMT Vislink showcases updated AVDS System
- Toll Helicopters and Seeing Machines have joined forces
- Helicentre announces scholarship winners
- PhilJets orders 3 Bell 505 Helicopters
- HAI Partners with JSfirm.com to Address Shortage