Sikorsky have been granted patent number 8,353,673 for “A main rotor blade assembly includes a main spar with an integral cuff. The main spar is directly to a rotor hub assembly through the integral cuff”. Two particular sections of interest from the official US Patent & Trademark Office website posting are listed below
Background of the Invention
The present invention relates to a rotary wing aircraft main rotor blade, and more particularly to a main rotor blade with a cuff integral with the spar.
Rotary-wing aircraft rotor blades often include a composite or metallic main rotor spar of a constant chord and constant wall thickness. To attach the rotor spar to a hub assembly, a separate root end cuff is attached to an inboard section of the main rotor spar. The cuff is conventionally manufactured of a titanium forging or a composite root laminate sized to match an outer mold line of the main rotor spar. The root end cuff is attached to the main rotor spar through a multiple fastener configuration, each fastener of which must be torqued to a required standard.
Although effective, the separate root end cuff assembly and related hub componentry may result in a weight and life cycle penalty as the multiple of components are duplicated on each rotor blade assembly.
Summary of the Invention
A main rotor blade assembly according to an exemplary aspect of the present invention includes: a main spar formed with an integral cuff.
A rotary wing aircraft according to an exemplary aspect of the present invention includes: a rotor hub assembly; a main spar which comprises a root section and an main section, the root section forms an integral cuff, the integral cuff having a first hub mount aperture and a second hub mount aperture; a first pin which passes through the first aperture to mount the main spar to the rotor hub assembly; and a second pin which passes through the second aperture to mount the main spar to the rotor hub assembly.
A method of mounting a main rotor blade assembly according to an exemplary aspect of the present invention includes: attaching an integral cuff directly to a rotor hub assembly.
- Helicopter now stationed at Scotland Memorial Hospital
- Safran Helicopter Engines Partners with Citicopter in Russia
- Star Navigation Announces MEDEVAC Agreement
- Rusada joins the European Helicopter Association
- Airbus Helicopters showed H135 at HeliRussia
- Magpas Air Ambulance CEO appointed to the Board of the Association of Air Ambulances
- Sikorsky Receives Contract To Build 12 CH-53K
- Helicopter Training Squadron 18 Receives Award
- B505 Continues Global Expansion
- ADS-B Rebates Have All Been Reserved
- NeoXCraft designers VRCO sign agreement with ConnectJets
- Boeing Awarded $8M Contract for AH-64 Support Services
- Sikorsky Awarded $1,126M Contract for Procurement of 12 CH-53K
- Safran appointed Executive VP Operations
- Bell Boeing JPO Awarded $42M Contract for V-22 Technical Support
- Russian Helicopters participate in SITDEF-2019
- New Chief Executive for Air Ambulance Kent Surrey Sussex
- Robinson Introduces a New Flight Training Guide
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries opens H145-BK117 training centre at Gifu
- Cooperation Between Russia and Belarus exceeds $1 bln