Sikorsky Aircraft, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX) announced today at the LAAD Defence & Security International Exhibition that the Colombian Army has contracted to buy two additional S-70i™ BLACK HAWK helicopters. The two aircraft will augment five S-70i helicopters that arrived January 30 in Colombia to join the Special Forces of the Colombian Army’s Air Assault Division.
“We thank the Colombian Armed Forces for their continued confidence in Sikorsky and the S-70i variant of the BLACK HAWK helicopter,” said Jennifer Caruso, Sikorsky Vice President of Army and Air Force Programs. “We are pleased once again to be able to respond quickly to the request for new aircraft.”
Like the five previous multi-mission aircraft, the two new aircraft will feature dual GPS/INS system and digital map for accurate navigation and enhanced situational awareness. The aircraft will be custom-equipped with a rescue hoist and an Integrated Vehicle Health Management System that will monitor the aircrafts’ engines, transmission and rotors. The contract also includes ground support equipment, spares and technical training.
The aircraft are expected to be delivered by October 2013, and then flown by Colombian aircrew to the Army Special Operation Aviation Military base in Tolemaida.
Sold directly by Sikorsky to international militaries and government agencies. the S-70i helicopter delivers the same power and lift performance as S-70M BLACK HAWK aircraft. The S-70i model can be customized easily by Sikorsky to specific mission needs, to include radar, ballistic protection, medical litters, extended range fuel tanks, an external rescue hoist, and cargo hook among other features.
Colombia is the first South American country to buy the S-70i BLACK HAWK helicopter variant. The Colombian National Police, Colombian Air Force, and Colombian Army also operate 96 UH-60L BLACK HAWK helicopters.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Conn., USA, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture, and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., USA, provides a broad range of high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.
- Simplex awarded FAA certification for Internal Fire Attack System
- 1st CAB Commander Makes Final Flight
- CPI Aero Secures Additional Orders From Sikorsky
- Rockwell Collins Awarded $49M Contract for UH-60 Display Unit Overhaul
- AAI Corp. Awarded $20M Contract for JSECST for CV-22, UH-47 and UH-60
- Sikorsky Awarded $23M Contract for UH-60 Overhaul
- Coulson and Unical Join Forces to form Coulson Unical
- US Army selects GE’s T901 engine
- Triumph Awarded DLA Contract Extension
- Polish Police recieve two S70i Black Hawks
- Fort McCoy celebrates 40 years of the Black Hawk
- CPI Aero wins UH-60 Hover Infrared Suppression System order
- Sikorsky Awarded $29M Contract for UH-60 Support
- Sikorsky Awarded $61M Contract for UH-60 Repairs
- General Electric awarded $18M contract for UH-60 pipe exhausts
- US State Department to possibly sell UH-60 Black Hawks to Latvia
- Meggitt awarded five year fuel cell contract
- First Afghan UH-60 pilots graduate
- Honeywell Certified To Bring Wi-Fi To Helicopters
- Parker Hannifin awarded $96M contract for UH-60 Upgrades