This week, Stan Rose, HAI’s director of safety outreach programs, represented HAI at the 53rd annual conference of the Aviation Technical Education Council (ATEC) in Orlando, Fla.
HAI is committed to working with this group to address the issues of a shortage of qualified maintenance personnel, including professional development in ab-initio training and in curriculum development that includes helicopter training.
In his annual report for 2013, ATEC President Raymond Thompson outlined several highlights of the work of ATEC. First, he talked about the progress of the FAA/Industry Part 147 Working Group and the ways their work will affect Part 147 schools. Second, he talked about the need for collaboration with industry to fill the training pipeline with more students and to provide a better definition of their career path after graduation. Finally, he talked about the need to promote Accreditation for two- and four-year aviation maintenance programs.
In a panel discussion with other industry partners, Rose discussed HAI’s shared concern about the shortage of AMTs entering the workforce, the need to incorporate Human Factors training and other “soft skill” subjects into the curriculum, and the importance of adopting SMS in the school operations so that our future maintenance professionals learn that the new safety culture is an expectation for their future.
- Slovenian Police receive first of two AW169s
- LCI launches 1st helicopter co-investment vehicle
- Life Flight Network and Saint Alphonsus Celebrate 10 Years
- Rostec will offer renewal of South Korean Ka-32 fleet
- Leonardo appoints UI International as Korea distributor
- Safran selects Onsight AR platform for remote customer support
- Japanese Prefectures Place Orders for Bell 412EPI
- Air Methods Relocates Black Hills Life Flight Base to Rapid City
- New York Helicopter Charter files for bankruptcy protection
- Denel helicopters not affected by aerostructures business exit
- Honeywell upgrades power and fuel efficiency on T55 engine for Chinook
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Sikorsky Introduces RAIDER X™
- US Army trialing new helicopter pilot training program
- NFAC tests next-generation military helicopter
- Aero Asset’s Q3 Preowned Helicopter Market Trends show improving conditions
- Sikorsky Showcases New Combat Rescue Helicopter
- UK Helicopter Museum celebrates 30 years
- Helity appointed AW139 Maintenance Centre by Leonardo
- Bell Appoints China State Grid GA as a Bell429 Authorized Maintenance Center