On March 29, 2013, Enstrom Helicopter Corporation received Type Certificate Number 74 from the Japan Civil Aviation Bureau (JCAB) for the Enstrom Model 480B Helicopter. The application was initially submitted to the JCAB on May 17, 2012.
On October 22, 2012, two JCAB officials, accompanied by Mr. Mitsuo Hattori, Enstrom’s representative from Aero Facility in Tokyo, Japan, visited Enstrom’s facility for an Initial Familiarization meeting. There was also one FAA official in attendance to support Enstrom with certification efforts. The Initial Familiarization meeting lasted four days, during which the JCAB officials made a rigorous inspection of the Enstrom facility and its practices.
William Taylor, Director of Engineering, led the initial presentations, which included company overview and its history, certification history, and a 480B overview. “It was a pleasure working together with the JCAB and the FAA to achieve this,” said Taylor.“We feel it is a real accomplishment and look forward to entering the civilian market in Japan.” While here, the officials took a tour of the facilities and a flight in a 480B helicopter with Taylor. Technical discussions went on for three days.
Dialogue was exchanged from November 2012 through March 2013 to ensure the Japanese translated Rotorcraft Flight Manual and Japanese dedicated Rotorcraft Supplement, as well as the Japanese translated placards, met the certification requirements.
“Enstrom has enjoyed a lot of success in Japan over the years, including a recent sale of 30 480B helicopters to the Japanese Ground Self Defense Force for training,” said Dennis Martin, International Sales and Program Manager. “With the civil type certification of the 480B now complete, we look forward to building upon that success. We feel the 480B’s combination of low cost of ownership, versatility, and excellent safety record, along with the JGSDF pedigree, will make it very popular with commercial operators, flight schools, and private owners in Japan.”
Founded in 1959, Enstrom Helicopter Corporation manufactures a complete line of helicopters. The three-seat, piston-powered F28F and 280FX are popular training, sport and light commercial aircraft. The larger turbine-powered 480B is available as a three-place advanced trainer and patrol aircraft, a 2+2 four-seat training helicopter, or as a three- to five-place executive transport. For law enforcement applications, Enstrom produces an optionally equipped variant of the 480B, known as the Guardian, and the F28F, called the Sentinel.
- 10-Oct-20 N899RT Enstrom 480B Putnam, US-Connecticut
- 250th Enstrom 480 produced as manufacturer welcomes French dealer
- Royal Thai Army prepares for more Enstrom 480Bs
- Enstrom Obtains Certification of Garmin® GTN 750
- 22-Mar-19 OK-CLV Enstrom 480 Slavoňov, Czech Republic (2F)
- Six more Enstrom 480s for Thailand
- Enstrom 480B receives Canadian certification
- New Zealand certifies current Enstrom models
- New 480B to South Africa
- Enstrom certifies Appareo Vision 1000
- LOM PRAHA TRADE a.s. and Enstrom Helicopter sign Contract
- 10-May-17 N480W Enstrom 480 Pfunders, Italy (1F)
- Enstrom Delivers 480B to Sharkeys Helicopter
- Enstrom signs new 5-year agreement for M250 engines
- R66 production numbers speed past the H120 total
- 09-Sep-15 G-IGHH Enstrom 280 Aldbury, UK
- Enstrom delivers last of 30 480Bs to Japanese Ground Self Defense Force
- Enstrom Delivers First 480B-G
- FAA approves Enstrom 480B-G – the Garmin G1000H equipped 480
- Enstrom Adds Dealers, Continues Innovation