Ornge, Ontario’s provider of air ambulance and related services, announced today two surplus AW139 helicopters have been sold. The selling price was $20 million USD for two aircraft, or $10 million per helicopter.
“With the sale of these helicopters, Ornge has taken another important step in addressing legacy issues inherited from previous leadership,” said Dr. Andrew McCallum, President and CEO of Ornge. “Our objective has been to recoup as much of the original investment as possible. With this sale, we will no longer incur ongoing storage, maintenance and depreciation costs. We are confident that this is a deal which makes sense and minimizes impact on the taxpayer.”
Ornge has completed the sale of both aircraft and transferred title to Wilmington Trust of Delaware. The proceeds will be used to pay down Ornge debt.
In 2008, the previous management at Ornge purchased 10 AW139 helicopters, and later exercised an option in the contract to purchase two additional helicopters at a price of approximately $11 million USD per aircraft. Ornge has been actively seeking a buyer for the two aircraft since new leadership was established in January 2012.
Ornge has made a number of improvements over the past year, including the appointment of Dr. Andrew McCallum as the new President and CEO, and aviation executive Rob Giguere as Chief Operating Officer. Ornge has also improved the patient relations process, hired a patient advocate, and introduced new conflict of interest and whistleblower policies.
Ornge, a not-for-profit .organization, coordinates all aspects of Ontario’s air ambulance system, the critical care land transport program, paediatric transport program and the authorization of air and land ambulance transfers between hospitals.
- Babock re-launches scheduled services in Spain with AW139
- Spanish operator Helity adds new scheduled route
- THC wins AW139 contract from Red Sea Development Company
- Trinidad & Tobago Air Guard to reactivate one of four AW139s
- MDFR upgrades fleet with delivery of first AW139
- Penzance Helicopters introduces AW139 to Isles of Scilly service
- Global AirParts announces AW139 part out project
- Leonardo AW139 – EASA AD 2020-0191 : Equipment / Furnishings
- Changes coming for heliport at Macau International Airport
- Coptersafety appoints new AW139 Type Lead Instructor
- Lifeflight’s AW139 fleet marks milestone
- 24-Jul-20 VH-TJO Leonardo AW139 Goulburn, Australia
- Leonardo presents AW139 enhanced capabilities
- CHC and UniFly extend Hornsea wind farm support contract
- 20-Jun-20 VH-EGK Leonardo AW139 Caboolture, Australia
- Penzance Helicopters flights to restart 4th July, plus AW139 update
- FAA approves Coptersafety AW139 simulator
- Nigerian Navy receives AW139 helicopter
- COVID-19 – AW139 supporting COVID-19 operations in Canada
- LCI Helicopters launches $100 Million co-investment vehicle