AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce that the first NH90 TTH in FOC (Final Operational Capability) configuration for the Italian Army has been delivered today during an official ceremony held at AgustaWestland’s Venice Tessera plant in the presence of Gen. Giangiacomo Calligaris, Commander of Italian Army Aviation, and Gen. Francesco Langella, ARMAEREO. This delivery brings to 21 the number of NH90 TTHs delivered to the Italian Army from an order for 60.
This latest delivery marks another major milestone for the Italian Army NH90 programme. Five aircraft currently deployed in Afghanistan have now flown 470 flight hours with outstanding performance, reliability and mission effectiveness in the extreme and demanding environmental, weather and operational conditions there. The Italian Army also operates the NH90 programme fleet leader which has now flown approximately 900 flight hours.
AgustaWestland is also supplying integrated operational support through the PLS (Phased Logistic Support) programme scheme to ensure the Italian Army can maximize the operational effectiveness of its NH90 fleet.
AgustaWestland’s Venice Tessera plant, covering 24,000 m2, is the new Italian final assembly line for the 160 NH90s ordered so far by Italy (Army and Navy, 60 and 56 helicopters respectively), the Netherlands (20), Norway (14) and Portugal (10). The Venice Tessera plant has expanded becoming the NH90 programme hub for all AgustaWestland customers, including the provision of maintenance, spare parts, engineering services, upgrades and modifications as well as future developments of new product configurations.
The NH90 TTH (Tactical Transport Helicopter) variant is a 11-tonne class helicopter configured to perform tactical transport missions in all environments by day and night. The NH90 TTH helicopters’s mission flexibility allows its users to perform additional roles such as internal/external load transport, heliborne operations, special operations, search and rescue, casualties evacuation and training missions.
The NH90 TTH is the most modern helicopter in its weight class available in the market. It features a high level of system integration built around a dual bus core avionic system, full glass cockpit with multi-Function displays, fly-by-wire controls with a four-axis Automatic Flight Control System. The dedicated mission system includes among others: piloting forward looking infrared system, helmet mounted sight and display, obstacle warning system, electronic warfare system, tactical control and tactical communication system, weather radar, digital map generator and an on-board monitoring and diagnostic system. Up to 2 x M134D miniguns and ballistic protection further enhance its self-defence capabilities. It also features a fully composite crashworthy fuselage. The two modern GE/AVIO T700 – T6E1 engines provide the Italian Army’s NH90s with power reserve in all environments. The NH90 helicopter has provisions for a number of role equipments to enable mission flexibility and effectiveness coupled with a high level of safety and survivability. More than 140 NH90s have been delivered to 13 countries logging almost 40,000 flight hours to date.
The twin-engine, medium-size NH90 helicopter programme is managed by the consortium NHIndustries, the Company owned by AgustaWestland (32%), Eurocopter (62.5%), and Stork Fokker (5.5%). The NH90 helicopter programme is the largest ever launched in Europe, with firm orders now reaching 529 units for 19 armed forces of 14 nations: France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Portugal, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Greece, Oman, Australia, New-Zealand, Spain and Belgium.
- CAE to provide German Navy with NH90 training solution
- Spain receives NH90 simulator from Indra
- RNLAF NH90 to be upgraded with Hostile Fire Indicator System
- Netherlands Ministry of Defence opens new NH90 training facility
- Airbus delivers first NH90 Sea Lion to the German Armed Forces
- ST Engineering to support German NH90 fleet
- Airbus Helicopters and Elbe Flugzeugwerke take on maintenance activities
- German NH90s get upgrade with Rohde & Schwarz radios
- Sea Lion Successfully Completes Mission Demonstration
- Terma Aircraft Survivability Equipment on RNLAF NH90 Ready for Operational Use
- RUAG successfully completes the first NH90 inspection
- New contract between NHIndustries and the NATO Agency NAHEMA
- Italy Saves €450M from Defence Contract
- Kongsberg opens new transmission MRO facility for AW101 and NH90
- Norwegian NH90 Procurement Criticised
- NH90 User Conference 2018
- Norway to Use NH90 For Coastguard Missions
- Norwegian Navy tests NH90 helicopter landings on ships in open sea
- NH90 Qatar contract now effective
- New Zealand orders NH90 flight training device from CAE