Columbia Helicopters is responding to the sudden surge in fires across the western United States with four heavy-lift helicopters deployed to fires. This includes two aircraft assigned to the Black Forest Fire near Colorado Springs, CO.
The company also has a helicopter working on a fire near Santa Fe, NM, as well as one near Price, UT. Columbia’s fleet of heavy-lift helicopters are routinely used throughout the United States during fire season, assisting ground crews in the suppression of wildland fires.
The two aircraft working the fire in Colorado and the one in Utah are Columbia 107-II helicopters, each with a lifting capacity of approximately 10,000-pounds. These aircraft are equipped with an 1,100 gallon SEI Torrentula Bambi Bucket with Powerfill system, which the pilots can use to drop water or retardant on the fire. Strung 200-feet beflow the helicopter, these buckets can draw from tree-lined streams or ponds with sources as shallow as 18-inches.
The helicopter in New Mexico is a Columbia Model 234 Chinook, which carries a 2,650-gallon SEI Torrentula Bambi Bucket, which is also equipped with the Powerfill system.
- SAFE to distribute M2 ERFS Tank Shoring System for CH-47
- S.A.F.E. Structure Designs wins $1M CH-47F fall protection platform contract
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Coulson and Unical join forces to form Coulson Unical
- UTC Unveils New Lightweight Ballistic Protection
- Possible US Foreign Military Sale to the UK
- Boeing Awarded $199M Contract for H-47 Rotor Blade Support
- Honeywell Awarded $20M Contract for CH-47 Engine Support
- US delivers new Chinook to Turkey despite F-35 problem
- Netherlands signs combined Apache and Chinook sustainment contract with Boeing
- CAE joins Boeing H-47 Chinook team
- Boeing, Rohde & Schwarz Sign Agreement
- Boeing partners with 10 German Aerospace Companies
- Program Executive Office for Aviation group is awarded
- Israel prefers CH-47F to CH-53K
- LifePort Delivers Lightweight Armor Kit for Columbia Helicopters
- Boeing awarded $19M contract for field service representatives for the CH-47
- King Stallion and Chinook to battle for Israeli order
- DynCorp International awarded $8M contract for Maintenance on AH-64, UH-60, CH-47, and OH-58s
- Boeing Awards Components Manufacturing Contract to COTESA