Three Royal New Zealand Air Force NH90 helicopters were put through their paces as part of an intensive flying training programme around Waiouru this week.
“The exercise was to test our ability to deploy in a more austere environment, away from the comfort of home base at Ohakea,” said SQNLDR Chris Andrew, Commanding Officer for the exercise, based at Waiouru Military Camp.
“It’s an opportunity to train and test the aircraft and crew skills in a relatively controlled environment, undertake some intensive flying, and work closely with the NZ Army.”
Around 90 Air Force personnel and 30 Army personnel from the Queen Alexandra’s Mounted Rifles took part in the exercise. It was the first time that the NH90 had carried fully equipped NZ Army troops (with packs and weapons).
It was also the first time formation, low level flying had been undertaken away from Ohakea, which is a significant milestone in the training and testing of the aircraft and crew.
The focus was on completing Operational Test and Evaluation (OT&E) tasks as part of developing the full range of NH90 capabilities, some of which have already been released into service.
Two A109 Light Utility Helicopters were also deployed to Waiouru and trained alongside the NH90s as part of its OT&E for introduction into service.
Both helicopters will be used for tasks in support of the military and other Government agencies.
- Rheinmetall to supply digital classroom for German Navy NH90 training
- Qatar NH90 helicopter programme marks major milestone with first flights
- Leonardo’s acoustic sub hunter technology adds dipping sonar in new demo
- Indra delivers the second NH90 simulator to the Spanish Armed Forces
- Bundeswehr orders 31 NH90 for shipborne operations
- GKN Aerospace promotes its role in German NH90 order
- Germany procures 31 NH90s for Navy role
- New-generation Euroflir410 selected for NH90 TFRA & Special forces
- CAE hands over CAE 700MR NH90 simulator to Royal New Zealand Air Force
- First NH90 delivered to the Spanish Air Force for SAR missions
- France signs contract for upgraded NH90 TTH for Special Forces
- Royal Netherlands Air Force sends replacement NH90 to Curacao
- Safran to support German and Norwegian NH90 engines
- Nova Systems wins Norwegian NH90 contract
- Rheinmetall modernizing German NH90 flight simulators
- CAE to provide German Navy with NH90 training solution
- Spain receives NH90 simulator from Indra
- RNLAF NH90 to be upgraded with Hostile Fire Indicator System
- Netherlands Ministry of Defence opens new NH90 training facility
- Airbus delivers first NH90 Sea Lion to the German Armed Forces