HAI President Matt Zuccaro and six other general aviation (GA) association presidents sat together at EAA’s AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wis., and discussed both the challenges facing the GA industry and the successes the industry has had over the past year.
Zuccaro joined Experimental Aircraft Association Chairman Jack Pelton, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) President Craig Fuller, National Business Aviation Association President Ed Bolen, National Air Transportation Association (NATA) President Tom Hendricks, General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA) President Pete Bunce, and National Association of State Aviation Officials (NASAO) President Henry “Henry O” Ogrodzinski.
The various GA sectors share many of the same concerns.
One of the big topics of discussion was the FAA’s decision to charge EAA nearly half a million dollars to staff the control tower at what, for this week, is the busiest air traffic control tower in the world. All of the association heads noted their strong opposition to what is, in effect a user fee – or as NBAA’s Bolen noted, a new user tax.
Zuccaro also talked about the relatively new phenomenon of legislators forcing changes to airspace for reasons that have nothing to do with safe or efficient use of the nation’s airspace.
The panel discussion ended with a reminder from Henry O that the reason the associations are stronger together is their membership and a call for members to be active in their support of GA.
- Volocopter and Grab conduct air-taxi feasibility study in Southeast Asia
- CareFlight adds fourth operational base in Darke County
- UK AAIB Bulletin – February 2020
- Air Methods contracts with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas
- Longbow LLC secures $235.8 M contract for Fire Control Radar Sustainment Work
- Devon Air Ambulance adds two Critical Care Cars
- Genesys Aerosystems HeliSAS® Receives STC Approval for Bell 505
- Gama Aviation releases Flight Data Monitoring mod for Airbus H135 and H145
- Babcock adds another EMS H145 in Italy
- Airbus proposes a modification of the Main Rotor Actuator on AS365 Dauphin
- Summit Aviation hires new Director of Sales and Marketing
- Rolls-Royce adds new Helicopter customers to TotalCare in 2019
- HeliSpeed Signs SAR Support Agreement with Cobham
- FlightSafety International appoints President and CEO
- Whirly-Girls International Reveals 2020 Scholarship Recipients
- Airbus delivers second ACH175 for superyacht operations
- Nepal – Simrik Air orders two Bell 505s
- Leidos and Rusada team up to deliver MRO and Flight Ops software
- Gama Aviation provides update on Scottish Ambulance Service contract
- Devon Air Ambulance reports 2019 statistics